Images - How do we eliminate unwanted images once and for all?

I've not played around with images much.  I figured out what I needed, worked around any issues and moved on.

Today I am trying to understand a bit more how, at least conceptually, the images are dealt with in an app.  I can understand why there are so many questions about using images in our apps!

I created an image that includes text but it doesn't look good so I want to replace it with an updated image.  Using the same file name, I thought it would just update but it doesn't.  So I decided to just remove the old version altogether.

However, after deleting the file, emptying Google trash, clearing Google cache, reloading the app, closing and re-opening the app...the image still appears if I set its name in the Google sheet.

I can replace the name in the sheet, refresh and the expected image shows.  If I change the image name in the sheet back to the image that has been deleted, it will re-appear in the app.

NOTE:  this is all being tested in the Editor emulator.

Obviously, the image file is being cached somewhere but where?  How do we forcibly remove a deleted image so that it no longer appears anywhere in our apps?

0 3 93
3 REPLIES 3

Maybe it's the Server caching property--especially if what you're observing is in the near term after changing a file but then it serves the updated file after a period (~24 hours?)?

In case it's applicable, here are some techniques to experiment with:

dbaum_0-1674602102527.png

I don't have server caching on in this app.    The "store data for offline content" was on but I have since turned it off.

I have to wonder if there is some AppSheet specific image cache lurking about.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@WillowMobileSys wrote:

How do we forcibly remove a deleted image so that it no longer appears anywhere in our apps?

Not possible, but using cache-busting techniques you can bypass the cache.

Top Labels in this Space