Images captured in one app not showing in another

Struggling with this for a while now... Two different apps share the same appsheet database, which include a table that has a photo field.  With the image path set to default, images captured in one app do not show up when the same record is shown in the other app.  Weird that they share a database but not a file location, but okay.   I've tried following the directions on this images don't load help page , including playing with the  geturl?appName=..folderName=...fileName=... service but I can't seem to find the right combination of things to get anything other than "bad request" as a response.  

What's the easiest way for two apps sharing an appsheet database to also share a photo file folder?  

0 8 418
8 REPLIES 8

I don't have direct experience with your scenario. Maybe others have a direct answer for your question.

@RedVox wrote:

Weird that they share a database but not a file location

I don't think so. The help article you linked to explains that for a table whose data source is not a spreadsheet, an app stores images in the app's own folder:

• If your data source is from something like a SQL database (something that doesn't let you save files to it directly), then by default, the image sub-folders are located within the app default folder (with folder path something like /appsheet/data/MyApp-123456/MyTable_Images).

@RedVox wrote:

With the image path set to default

This is where I'd start. Presumably, one or both apps needs the column's image path set explicitly to the location that's not the default for that app.

The example that you suggest does not mention what domain this URL has.  It doesn't seem to be  https://google.com/appsheet/data... or  https://appsheet.com/appsheet/data or https://appsheet.com/data.  So, what comes before the folder path shown in the example?  

@RedVox wrote:

The example that you suggest

I'm not sure what you're referencing. I didn't suggest any example.

@dbaum wrote:

/appsheet/data/MyApp-123456/MyTable_Images

If this is what you're referencing--that's simply text from the AppSheet Help article you originally linked to. It's a filepath (e.g., in Google Drive) representing the app's default location for app files. As explained in Image storage in the cloud, any path you enter in an image column's Image/File folder path property is "relative to the location of the source spreadsheet". Since when a table's data source is a database it "uses the default app folder location" to store images, I assume that the path would instead be relative to that location.

Okay, let me try again.  I have two apps that share an appsheet database.  The first app has a default path of /appsheet/data/Test1-898375888.  When I save a record with an image, the text saved in the image column field reads: Table1_Images/7Vj_85bMBs46mJu40SkC78.photo.132236.png

So, in App2, which shares the same database, shouldn't I be able to access the same photo by setting the photo column to use a path of:
/appsheet/data/Test1-898375888/Table1_Images

It doesn't work and I don't understand what I might be doing wrong.  

When I do the same test using a google sheet instead of an appsheet database, it's easy to see and use the shared image directory in google drive across both apps, but when using an appsheet database, it seems that appsheet doesn't create a visible directory in google drive for the images.  

Okay, I learned some more... The account that my apps are stored under is a microsoft account.  When the data source is an appsheet database (probably applies to mysql as well) and the account is an MS account, the images get stored in MS onedrive under appsheet/data folders.  I guess that little note in the image file path field saying "only respected by some data sources" applies here.  Here's what I learned:

1. when you are signing in to Appsheet, you are also selecting your app's default storage location
  2. avoid using an MS credential to avoid storing images in OneDrive
  3. It doesn't seem possible to share photos across two apps if the photos are stored in OneDrive.  It doesn't seem possible to use "../" to get a path to traverse above an app's route directory and even if you've set the permissions for a folder to be externally accessible, providing the full sharing url to the folder still doesn't seem to work as a folder path in appsheet.
  4. If you must use an MS credential, use a google sheet for data rather than an AppSheet database to eliminate the issue.

Hey, i am also facing the same issue and i am not using Microsoft account. I am using my gmail account and i too have an AppSheet database with a products table containing product thumbnails. When referencing this table from two separate apps, i can't see the product images. 

I have tried two column types (thumbnail & photo) for it but none of them seem to work across the two apps i have. 

Would really appreciate any help here. Thanks! 

If you are using the google drive folder, just create a shortcut of the application image folder A (where you capture the images) inside the application folder B (where you want to display the images).

Top Labels in this Space