Import CSV Error due to Formula taking too long to compute

Good Day Appsheet Community,

I seem to be having an issue with the CSV import functionality. I have read through the documentation on the using the import behavior but i still cannot get it to work.

The error that i usually get is 'Request cancelled: took to long to process: Computing a formula'

I do have a few formulas, such as adding up multiple columns, references to other tables, and maxrow calculations. Would anyone be able to assist in explaining which is the formulas cause this error.

Also the file i am importing has only 1 row of data and the header.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

0 2 135
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Appsheet Community,

Does anyone know how i could potentially solve the above error?

The help article below mentions the reasons that can delay the import CSV action time limit of 4 minutes.

However a bit surprising when you mention you upload only one record. You could

1. Check if the audit log is showing more specific reason for action failure

2. Thereafter eliminate one by one reason mentioned in the help article possibly starting with VCs with multirow expressions (SELECT(), MAXROW(), etc.) ,  multirow expressions for valid_if and other constraints etc. and then other ones to see at which point the action goes through. You could this by deleting a VC or constraint expressions temporarily one by one.

Import a CSV file for this view - AppSheet Help

Considerations for the CSV file size

AppSheet imposes a 4-minute time limit when importing a CSV file. We do this to ensure that all users get fair access to the system. Keep this time limit in mind when creating your CSV file.

The following work all counts towards the time limit:

1. Time to compute initial value expressions and virtual field app formulas.
  2. Time to check and update Change fields.
  3. Time to verify that each field contain a value of the appropriate type.
  4. Time to enforce Required, Required_If, and Valid_If conditions.
  5. Time to add or update the records to the table. This time depends, in part, on which provider the table uses. For SQL providers we batch read and write operations for efficiency.
  6. Time to re-read the added or updated records to obtain after images, if automations are present.
  7. Time to process the automations, if any.

As the article itself mentions 

"As you can see, the time required to import a CSV file depends on a lot of factors and can be hard to predict."

Top Labels in this Space