Import file without unique values

hello, the table i am working with doesnt have a unique value column, so i created a unique value in appsheet, for a virtual column "ID" =  concatenate([Año];[Run])

Now, when i import the csv I get error: ErrorDescription: Row key field 'Año' value is missing

I check and I do have the Año column and all rows have a value in it, alsi i checked the csv locale.

So, is it posible to import a table without a unique value column, like i am trying to do? or what am I missing?

thanks

Solved Solved
0 1 190
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nicolascabello wrote:

So, is it posible to import a table without a unique value column, like i am trying to do? or what am I missing?

It is true that all tables in AppSheet must have a Key column.  If a column is not specified as a key, AppSheet will default to _RowNumber as the key...HOWEVER... you do NOT want to depend on this being the permanent key column.  For temporary uses it's fine such as in a CSV import process that then moves the rows to other tables after the import.

If the table you import into IS a permanent table the I strongly recommend assigning the key using the function UNIQUEID() in its Initial Value property.  Any imported rows will automatically assign this value when the row is added.  Most importantly you will never run into any key issues or rows omitted due to duplicate keys.

FYI, this is known as a dataless key - a key value that does not depend on any column data.  I highly advise that all keys be constructed in this way to completely avoid key issues that arise from data changes later.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@nicolascabello wrote:

It is true that all tables in AppSheet must have a Key column.  If a column is not specified as a key, AppSheet will default to _RowNumber as the key...HOWEVER... you do NOT want to depend on this being the permanent key column.  For temporary uses it's fine such as in a CSV import process that then moves the rows to other tables after the import.

If the table you import into IS a permanent table the I strongly recommend assigning the key using the function UNIQUEID() in its Initial Value property.  Any imported rows will automatically assign this value when the row is added.  Most importantly you will never run into any key issues or rows omitted due to duplicate keys.

FYI, this is known as a dataless key - a key value that does not depend on any column data.  I highly advise that all keys be constructed in this way to completely avoid key issues that arise from data changes later.

Top Labels in this Space