In Duration - Remove hours, I only want to see minutes and seconds (mm:ss)

I'm building a "recipe app" for coffee.  

I want to enter the "time/duration" at particular stages

For example : at 1 min 40 secs (01:40) I did X task , at 5 min 35 secs (05:35) id Y task.

Currently instead of "01:40" I can only enter "00:01:40"

Can anyone help me out.

And is there a better way of entering time intervals than typing? 

Solved Solved
0 5 245
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First, you cannot avoid having the Hours component.  

@pallavharia wrote:

Unfortunately, not better than typing. 

What you could do is have two fields.  One for user input, the other is the input value converted to Duration - if needed.   On the user input, implement validation to require them to enter the value in the format "mm:ss".  Then set the Duration column with an expression like -  "000:" & [User Input]

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

First, you cannot avoid having the Hours component.  

@pallavharia wrote:

Unfortunately, not better than typing. 

What you could do is have two fields.  One for user input, the other is the input value converted to Duration - if needed.   On the user input, implement validation to require them to enter the value in the format "mm:ss".  Then set the Duration column with an expression like -  "000:" & [User Input]

Thank you for your help! The user input idea makes life much simpler. 

Although is there a way to input the time they way you can select time on an alarm app? Like in the photo below? or something similar?

IMG_B02799966CDA-1.jpeg

There is a Time column but it is subjected to AM/PM designation so I ruled that out as an option for your use case.  You can investigate using it if you wish.  The Time column would have worked great if we had a way to enter time based on a 24 hour clock but sadly we do not.

NOTE:  The input controls are "borrowed" from the device running the app.  They are not AppSheet created controls.  So the input capabilities can vary slightly between devices.  If you wish to test the Time column to see if it might work, be sure to test it on the different devices for ACTUAL behavior - don't decide solely on the Emulator abilities.

One option is to use sliders for the minutes and seconds columns ( number type) and then convert the minute and seconds values into duration in the third duration type column. If the minutes are not going to be say more than 15 for any step, then you could have 15 as maximum value for that slider, thereby giving a better slide control to the user. The more the range , the more difficult it is for the user to control the slider movement.

Capture DurationCapture Duration

Awesome suggestion! 

Top Labels in this Space