In calendar view, seems the end date is curre...

Alper

In calendar view, seems the end date is currently interpreted as โ€œuntil the end dateโ€ so when drawing color lines, the Enddate day is not covered. Is this made intentionally or? If yes, it might be a good idea to add a switch into calendar view settings, to include/exclude the Enddate in the date range. If I add endtime, like 23:59, then it covers, but do not prefer to add another unnecessary column, or

+1 to Enddate to display it correctly.

1 7 918
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

Hi! Was this ever solved? I seem to be running into the same issue: The colored lines on the calendar view are not inclusive of the last day in the date range.

So here is the reason for that: A date value of โ€œ2/27/2020โ€ when converted directly to DateTime translates to โ€œ2/27/2020 12:00 AMโ€. Which is the same as the end of โ€œ2/26/2020โ€. So, in essence, you either must specify a time at the end of the day for the line to keep drawing, or always add 1 to your enddate on the back-end. Because if you donโ€™t provide a time, the default will always be 12:00 AM.

2/27/2020 12.00am is not end of former day to my eye. It looks like very first minute of 2/27/2020 ?

When drawing the line theyโ€™re essentially the same. The line is stopping at the very first second of 2/27/2020 if that were to be the actual end date. If you want it to continue into 2/27/2020 and until the very last minute, you must specify the 11:59 PM or make the end date one day later with the default 12:00 AM, since it will look visually the same as โ€œ2/27/2020 11:59 PMโ€ on the calendar.

OK, thanks. I donโ€™t get that decision to make it operate that way - every other calendar system out there understands an event from the 20th-22nd is inclusive of the 20th and 22nd.

I donโ€™t want to add a start/end time because theyโ€™re not relevant to my events and add another step to creating entries - is there a creative way to get this to work as desired without having to select a time every time?

Thanks!

โ€œEvery other calendar systemโ€ that you are used to always assume all day events unless you specify otherwise.

However, what you are used to is the front-end interface that assumes all day for you. Back-end components donโ€™t make these kinds of assumptions. Itโ€™s up to you as the developer to do so. These views are base frameworks and if you want a certain outcome you have to make it happen.

Yes they are relevant. They are relevant in the other systems too. They are relevant because your days start and end at a time. When the event starts, it starts as soon as the clock rolls over to the start date at the default 12:00 AM, and when it ends on a certain day, it ends at the very last minute of that day. But you have to tell it that. You donโ€™t have to have a user enter the time. You can just have a default end time of 11:59 PM. But some programmer had to make that happen in โ€œevery other calendar systemโ€.

The absolute easiest way to do it, is to add 1 day on the back-end after the user selects the actual end date. Especially since this is purely a visual formatting thing for you.

Top Labels in this Space