Ineligible actions available as view's event actions

I have a read-only slice with no associated actions. Nonetheless, in a table view based on the slice I have the option to assign add/edit/delete actions to the Row Selected event. That seems unintended, confusing, and perhaps even problematic (while I did confirm the app saves with no warning or error if an ineligible action is assigned to the Row Selected event, I didn't test whether the actions actually function for the user).

Am I missing something in how I define my slice and my view that's resulting in the availability of these actions?

Slice properties showing no associated actions and read-only update mode

dbaum_0-1653769052170.png

Example of Delete action assigned to Row Selected event

dbaum_2-1653769438420.png

Actions available for Row Selected event

dbaum_1-1653769322444.png

1 4 75
  • UX
4 REPLIES 4

Setting the slice to readonly is more of a restriction for the app user.  Where you are in Event Actions is techically a different section altogether.  Though I'd be interested if you set the slice to readonly and Event Actions to Delete whether this actually works.  If this does allow deleting then I'd report is via support@appsheet.com as a bug.

Simon@1minManager.com

Thanks for the guidance. Per my other recent reply in this conversation, I submitted the issue to the email address you provided. I received the following reply. Do you know whether the email submission remains sufficient given that I'm just reporting a bug and not seeking assistance?

Thank you for contacting us at support@appsheet.com. We no longer directly accept requests via email. Instead, if you use the support form below, your request gets rapidly routed to the best available person on our team and we can track it to ensure we address the issue completely.
https://www.appsheet.com/support/contact

We look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

- the Google AppSheet team

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Working as intended.

I did some basic testing, and identified a problem.

Working as intended

Regardless of which actions are included in a slice, inappropriate actions do not to appear as buttons for a view based on the slice. For example, I made read-only and updates-only slices, and no delete button appeared for either and an edit button appeared for the updates-only slice but not for the read-only slice.

This expected behavior is good to have confirmed, even though it remains confusing that ineligible actions are available to include in a slice definition.

Presumably not working as intended

However, all the actions included in the slice remain available for selection in the view's event actions properties and indeed work even if contrary to the slice's Update mode property. For example, I created a table view for each slice, and set each view's Row Selected event action to the Delete action. In that scenario, selecting a row in either view's table deleted the row. Per @1minManager's recommendation, I'll email this information to support@appsheet.com.

Summary of steps to reproduce:

1. Create a slice whose Update mode property does not allow deletes.
  2. Add the Delete action to the slice.
  3. Create a table view based on the slice.
  4. Set the table view's Row Selected event action to the Delete action.
  5. In the app, select a row in the table view and it will be deleted despite the slice's Update mode property that disallows deletion.
Top Labels in this Space