Inline Action showing in Map display selected item row? Is it a bug?

I created a map view showing locations of technicians and the days work order Job Sites. When tapping on a Job Site, I am presented with the normal data row at the bottom of the map shown in Deck View style. I see the actions associated with the work order BUT I also see an Inline Action that basically is a Dup. It shown as green coins in the view just so I can differentiate it from the normal Pay Action. See image below.

I created the Inline action to show in a table on a Dashboard view so the Action can be taken without having to drill into the row.

My main screen is a deck view and DOES NOT show the Inline Action so I have to ask if the appearance of the Inline Action in the Map selected item row is a bug? Anyone have a guess or the answer?

Below, the green dollar and the green coins are basically the same Action - one is Display Prominently while the other is Display Inline.

EDIT: Forgot to mention when I tap on the row below the map, I get a Detail View and the Inline Action is NOT shown.

Solved Solved
0 9 904
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I have answered my own question.

Playing with other form factors doesn’t make this evident, but when I access the app from an iPhone 7 which is a bigger screen, I see more actions listed which are the default Inline Actions for Calling, Chatting and Driving Directions (which was also shown above).

So the answer seems to be that this is by design to attempt to show all available Actions regardless of display mode.

NOTE: There is a limit on the number of Actions displayed. In the editor form factor, 5 is the max. On an iPhone 7, 8 seems to the max. I have opened a Feature Request (a while ago) to expand this max as there is clearly room for additional Actions.

So the solution to my problem seems to be to add logic to NOT show the Inline Action on the Map display.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

I think I have answered my own question.

Playing with other form factors doesn’t make this evident, but when I access the app from an iPhone 7 which is a bigger screen, I see more actions listed which are the default Inline Actions for Calling, Chatting and Driving Directions (which was also shown above).

So the answer seems to be that this is by design to attempt to show all available Actions regardless of display mode.

NOTE: There is a limit on the number of Actions displayed. In the editor form factor, 5 is the max. On an iPhone 7, 8 seems to the max. I have opened a Feature Request (a while ago) to expand this max as there is clearly room for additional Actions.

So the solution to my problem seems to be to add logic to NOT show the Inline Action on the Map display.

Hi @WillowMobileSystems
Perhaps I didn’t understood the Problem but I think the solution is this:

When you tap on a Point in the Map, on big screens, it will open the Detail View beside the Map. On mobile device it will open a Deck View (as seen on your image).
If you don’t have created a Deck View (for the Map’s Table), AppSheet will use a system generated one.
By creating a Deck View, you can control, which Actions to be shown and which not.

Hope this helps.

Ah-ha! I am using a Slice to pull in the info for the map. I didn’t need a Deck View elsewhere so hadn’t created one. I’ll create one and see how it works. I’d like to at least rearrange the order of the actions.

I didn’t know if I created a Deck View the Map View would use it. I had read some of the documentation but I’m sure not all. Maybe a note within the Map View would help with this.

Thanks for replying and educating me!

You’re welcome. And I agree. This is not very clear to an AppSheet user. I don’t know if i read it in the documentation or here in the community.
Adding @Aleksi @Peter @Santiago - perhaps you have an idea how to make it more clear, that one need to create a deck view when using Map view.

Thanks for the feedback on this and for opening a feature request for it - there are some newer interface options in the works right now, some of which may affect the map view and how actions are exposed there. I’ll make sure the UX team gets this feedback. @WillowMobileSystems

@Fabian I implemented the Deck View and it works as expected for Actions allowing me to add and re-order the visible Action list.

I also, want to override the Row Selection. I created my custom action and updated the Behavior section but it seems the view ignores the assigned action and uses the default behavior.

Do you have an experience with this functionality? And if so is the Behavior I’m seeing expected?

@WillowMobileSystems Glad to hear that the Deck View works for you.
The Event Action when Row Selected should work with every system generated Action and with every custom Action.
But I can confirm that it’s not working in a Deck View that’s part of the Map view. I just tested it.
When Deck is selected, it will always open the Detail View.
@Aleksi is this the normal behavior?

I agree, it could be a good to explain it in documentation.

@Aleksi I was actually thinking maybe one line note in the Map View itself.

Top Labels in this Space