Inline Action vs Virtual Column?

I am having trouble getting an inline action to work properly. I created a virtual column to just show some text in the app if certain flags are enabled, and that much is working.

I created a custom action with a LINKTOVIEW() expression to push data to a form and launch that form, with the intention of this action being bound to the virtual column.

appsheet.png

as you can see, the desired text and icon are showing, but it is not clickable for some reason.

This seems pretty straight forward, but i cannot figure out what i have missed. I am getting no errors from AppSheet, the thing just won't let me click it ๐Ÿ˜‚

Solved Solved
0 12 111
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I may have got this figured out. It dawned on me that i'm working with a Slice for this view.... I think i need to enable the action in the Slice dialog

slices.png

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Can you show us how it looks without any format rule?

without the formatting rule, it's just plain black text, but still not clickable:

appsheet_sans_echo.png

Sure.

Can you make sure that the action is actually assigned to the VC?

it "claims" it is:

attached to column.png

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Remove all references to _THISROW from your LINKTOFORM() expression.

you are quick on the draw today! I've not tried this yet, but your suggestions usually work. Can you explain why it is currently failing?

even with those removed, the text is still not clickable, unfortunately.

Btw... why? I mean, I have this working on my app, linktoform that takes the current ID as a foreign key.

Im curious

Do you have any "Only if this condition is true" rules? @mykrobinson 

negative, assuming you mean on the action:

action_detail.png

i do have a show if condition on the virtual column, and it appears/disappears as those conditions change in the quick edit column above it.  So everything appears correctly, i jsut cannot get the action to fire

I may have got this figured out. It dawned on me that i'm working with a Slice for this view.... I think i need to enable the action in the Slice dialog

slices.png

It's mostly working now and writing data to the new table, however it's not capturing the _patientIdentifier primary key from the current patient record:

results.png

My action is as follows, i could use a second set of eyes in case i have misspelled something and don't realize it (dyslexia is fun sometimes)

linktoform("Echo_Form","_patientIdentifier",[_THISROW].[_patientIdentifier],"Patient Name",[_THISROW].[Full Name])

Top Labels in this Space