Interactive Dashboard Filters

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how to build interactive filters into a dashboard. I’ve spent about a day trying the user table method with no success. I followed the instructions in this video: Dynamic Dashboards - AppSheet - YouTube.

Could not replicate and make it work. I think my issue lies with references between the tables. Is there another approach to achieve interactive filters (user selected values)? Would appreciate some suggestions and perhaps some simple guides to follow.

Thank you for your help.

Solved Solved
0 14 989
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am not aware of an article to reference.

For a basic example, it should be as simple as:

1. Create View on Main source table - the list to filter by.

2. Create View on related table that includes a REF column to the Main source table - the list to be filtered. NOTE: Ref columns can contain ONLY key values from the the Main source table. One of the biggest issues with REF columns is that values other than a key is inserted. If you see any Yellow triangle warning symbols - the REF column is not correct.

3. Place both views into a Dashboard view.

4. Flip on the “Interactive Dashboard” switch.

That’s all that is needed to get the feature to work. Obviously there can be more complicated variations but try to get this basic example working first

Have you tried reviewing this app?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Thank you. I’ve already watched these. He just goes through the pre-made dashboard filters and does not show how to actually do them, how the relationships work and how to write the expressions. The video I’ve posted does provide more detail, but I just couldn’t replicate.

Trying to see maybe there’s an article on this somewhere that I can follow.

I am not aware of an article to reference.

For a basic example, it should be as simple as:

1. Create View on Main source table - the list to filter by.

2. Create View on related table that includes a REF column to the Main source table - the list to be filtered. NOTE: Ref columns can contain ONLY key values from the the Main source table. One of the biggest issues with REF columns is that values other than a key is inserted. If you see any Yellow triangle warning symbols - the REF column is not correct.

3. Place both views into a Dashboard view.

4. Flip on the “Interactive Dashboard” switch.

That’s all that is needed to get the feature to work. Obviously there can be more complicated variations but try to get this basic example working first

Have you tried reviewing this app?

Can you explain what you have done so far to understand where is the problem?

Maybe, maybe not. We won’t know until there is more info from your side

I don’t think so, just the detail view with quick edits + user slice and view from that slice

The simple ones were already showed to you. Interactive/Dynamic dashboard is not “simple”, at least not if you have limited experience with AppSheet

What part is not simple?

Have you seen the video?

This video covers more than just a Dynamic Dashboard. For the Dashboard part, it is as simple as the steps I outlined above and shown in the linked app. If you can correctly setup a REF column then you can very easily create the Dynamic Dashboard.

There are at least 3 types of Dashboard from my POV.

1. The simple one with just different views
  2. The “Interactive” one, that changes Detail depending on the selected row
  3. Dynamic, the one that the OP is refering to, because he wants “Filters”, not just row-click.

If he really wants the third one, that’s not easy nor simple, but pretty straightfoward if you know what you are doing

I have learned from yours and another short clip from AppSheet.com. Both are nice.

Great.

Hi Peter! Good day.

Please have look on the attached clip.

Its is an example of dynamic dash board. It works for multi user, so far I have tested. If you want like this, I can help you. Actually it is easy. Let me know.

Thanks.

Thank you all for your responses. I’ll attempt a simple filter first and see if I can get that to work, then try to apply to my situation.

I think that the single hardest part could be to have a strong row filter condition expression.
Anything else is pretty straightfoward and it’s almost the same for any Dynamic Filter

The issue was with references. Key must be columns must be selected for this to work.

"Key must be columns must be selected for this to work". Can you spell this out for me? I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't get a dynamic reference based on REF column to work. I can get the Detail views to work, but that is not what I want.

Top Labels in this Space