Interactive Dashboard problems

I would like to use the interactive dashboard to filter my main dashboard by school name. I have 2 tables 

Main = Key = Student ID, Label = Student ID

Schools = Key = School Name, Label = School Name, Ref = School Name Ref

I want to filter my main dashboard by school and I have tried so many things. I have tried the enhanced dashboard method from YouTube and didn't work, I like this method posted Here But I think I am missing something. Can someone explain it as to what I need for the source and what I need for the control and how to I link those 2 for my main table dashboard to filter? Do I need to make the main table key the same and the schools table? Can I just use the school name field thats already on main?

0 9 201
9 REPLIES 9

@Tragertt wrote:

I have 2 tables 

Main = Key = Student ID, Label = Student ID

Schools = Key = School Name, Label = School Name, Ref = School Name Ref

This is a really terrible way to describe your tables. I still have very little idea how your tables are set up. It would be much better to show screenshots of the "Columns" page within the editor of the 2 tables.

I'm also not really sure what functionality you're aiming for, and where exactly you're getting stuck. I'd suggest reading up more on "interactive dashboards" as well as "references between tables".

I would like to use the interactive dashboard to filter my main dashboard by school name.

Table 1

Tragertt_0-1666643752665.png

Tragertt_1-1666643801729.png

Table 2

Tragertt_2-1666643843423.png

I have a dashboard with 9 pie charts that cover 31 sites. I want to be able to filter all the pie charts to only one site that I choose. I think my keys are setup wrong and need to be the same thing? ie school name on main to school name on table schools?

You keep using this word "main", but I don't know what that is.

What are the names of your tables?

I see in the second table you have a Ref column. What is it referencing?

What table are your pie charts built on?

Did you try to read up on references like I suggested? https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10106510?hl=en

main table contains almost all of the data and almost all of the pie charts are based on main. The second table is named Schools and the ref is connected to table main. I did read that but I think I am missing the concept of interactive dashboard. I would like a drop down list of all the sites. When I choose a site from the dropdown I would like all the charts on the dashboard to now only show the site I picked.

So "main" is the name of "table 1" above, and "table 2" = "school" ? And I'm also assuming "site" also means "school"?

If so, then your reference is the wrong way. You want a column in main/table1 that is a Ref type, that references the School table. Then you add a simple table/deck view of the School table, and put it in your interactive dashboard. Clicking on one of the School names in that table/deck view should filter down the other views in the dashboard.

Make sure you have turned on the Interactive Dashboard option.

For the "interactive" part to work, each view must have a Ref column to the source table you are using to filter by.  So, for example, if you wish to filter by a School,  you would have a view of your Schools table showing a list of Schools.  All other views must then have a Ref column to the Schools table.

The way it works is that when you select a row in the source view, e.g. Schools, the row key will be used to filter rows in all of the other views.  If the views does not contain the Ref column, then it is not filtered.

I am still having a problem. here is my table chart

Dashboard Pic.jpg

So the dashboard has charts from the table [Main], [CCI], [EL] and [Special Ed]. I have another table that I want to filter everything on named [Dashboard Filter] with an enum field named [School Name]. On the dashboard I have a detail view of the table [Dashboard Filter]. Interactive mode is turned on the dashboard but nothing is being filtered. What am I missing?

This isn't an interactive dashboard situation. I'm not sure if this setup has a common term, but I'd call it a "user filterable dashboard". For this set up, you'd use slices for each of the 4 tables that filter the table down by the values selected in a single record on the 5th/center table. You would want interactive mode turned OFF for this setup.

An interactive dashboard would probably be easier here though. You'd need a "School" table, and each of the other 4 tables would have a Ref column pointing at that School table. Then in place of your dashboard filter view, you'd have a table/deck view of the School table. Then selecting any School record would filter the other 4 views down.

so it is now working where the data changes when i click on the name I want to filter by but for some reason all the data goes to 0. Here is a screen shot

dashboardto0.JPG

Any ideas why when you clicked on a school name it goes blank for all the data?

Top Labels in this Space