Interactive dashboard filter with one to many relationship

Trying to create a dashboard view that contains Questions that are mapped to different resources. There may be multiple questions mapped to one resource, so in my questions table I have a column called resource ref. 

In my interactive dash i want to display the questions in the left most panel, and display the resources in the right panel. When I goto setup the interactive dash, it seems like the relationship are setup the opposite way to have a column in resources that reference multiple questions. Is there any way to setup the interactive dash view so that the relationships are inverted ? 

I also tried the opposite, creating a column in the resources table that references multiple questions, but I ran into an issue with the ref field that it does not seem to work even when I follow the instructions here https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Multiple-Selection-Reference-Field/m-p/379869#M.... any ideas ?

0 4 139
4 REPLIES 4

Some clarification questions for you:

Each question only relates to a single resource, right? So what result exactly are you wanting to see? When you click on a question, it shows the single referenced resource? How do you want to view this resource?

----

Some clarification about how parent child references work, and how interactive dashboards work:

Typically, in a one-to-many relationship like you've described, the "one" is called the "parent" (resource in your case), and the "many" are called the "children" (question in your case). With interactive dashboard of parent-child relationships, we can describe them as "filtering down", but only "selecting up". (Those last two descriptive terms I literally made up just right now, so don't expect to search for them or anything.) "Up" meaning going from child to parent, "down" meaning parent to child. What I mean by this is in the dashboard, when you select a parent, the child table is filtered to only display the related children, but when selecting a child, the parent table is NOT filtered, but instead the referenced parent is "selected" or highlighted. This is the standard functionality and there's not really any way to change it.

Actually each question may relate to more than one resource, and multiple questions might relate to the same resource, so I suppose it's a many to many relationship. If I understand correctly this type of functionality won't work with the interactive dashboard. Is there any other way to achieve a similar drill down ?

@estock12 wrote:

If I understand correctly this type of functionality won't work with the interactive dashboard.

Not completely wrong, but isn't right either

You could perhaps set up a custom filterable dashboard, where the first view is a quick-editable Detail view on a new table that contains an Enum of questions, then the 2nd view is a table/deck/card view of resources, which is based on a slice that filters down the resources based on the selected question. Note that in this dashboard you do NOT use the "interactive" option, it's a very different setup. This kind of setup has been described in more detail in other posts, try searching for it if you need more.

Top Labels in this Space