Is Appsheet Falsly Advertsing?

Let me start by saying I love Appsheet. It does whatever you need it to do, making reading and filtering data from sheets a million times easier. But... for a Google company looking towards the future of app development the UI is so outdated and overdue for improvement.

While searching Google I came across this AD for Appsheet, the beautiful rounded card UI design that we've all been asking for. I currently use and build with AppSheet daily while building a UI in Figma to take my project elsewhere in the future. I'd love to know when this UI update will roll out so I can decide if I'm wasting my time.

Can we please get some direct answers about this blatant false advertising and the new UI timeline?

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 11.46.47 AM.png

1 9 554
9 REPLIES 9

The view shown is AppSheets Card view.  It doesn't have rounded corners, but you can otherwise produce a view very close to the one depicted in the image.

Please Note:  AppSheet is more focused on internal Business/Enterprise type applications rather than retail or customer-facing type apps.  While there is a large developer contingent asking for improved aesthetics,  most actual end users of the apps are business people who want practical views to get there daily job tasks done quickly.  The question I always get from my clients is "what's the best way to display the data".  Not one, yet, has complained about the looks of their apps. 

Hi Willow, I appreciate you taking a minute to add your perspective. I'm familiar with the possible card views available but I'm looking for a direct answer from the dev team about the time frame for a rounded corner design. There's no doubt that most apps made in Appsheet are functional enough for most business use cases and I'm not arguing that.

If the back end is developed efficiently which is all I would expect from Google, changing the corner radius or giving us the option to should be a simple change. It's great that you've received no complaints about the look of your apps. I've also found that my older clients are easily impressed with anything but younger clients who're more familiar with modern apps are less impressed by Appsheet's slow sync time and outdated UI.

The easiest scenario is they update the UI to reflect Google's modern round card design (They definitely hinted at this with the new Appsheet logo)

The harder and less likely scenario is they collaborate with a company like Figma to build an insanely low-code empire.

Don't get me wrong,  I'd like to see abilities to customize the app appearances.  And I think AppSheet will get there...just not soon.

I know it seems simple to just round the corners but think about it in terms of the overall system.  Some will like the rounded corners other will not, so it will need to be optional.  Then there is the consideration of view look and feel being consistent across the app. 

To do it right, there's more effort than it might seem at the surface

Same here for me as for Aaron. My clients (older and younger one) all accept first of all working Apps. And I also love Appsheet and can create nearly almost every business app so far. Having said that:

In terms of UX - the relevance of it must not be underestimated and I also see a strong lack of charting capabilities, where I need to move to Google Data Studio.

As in the advertisement-picture above -  I agree with Aarron that this is pretty misleading. So hopefully UX will also get some attention as the business requirements backlog for Appsheet will obviously never end.

Thanks!

Forget about the rounded corners. I'm more curious about the tabs on top of the card view.

JPAlpano_0-1661313839610.png

Are those supposed to be Group_By columns?  I only see tabs in multi-page forms.
And the screenshot doesn't seem to be showing a form view.

I

@JPAlpano wrote:

I'm more curious about the tabs on top of the card view.

@JPAlpano It appears to be dashboard view with tabs option enabled. 

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1661318373294.png

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1661318408965.png

بدي اعمل اعلان مش عارف

@AaronTerry , as @SkrOYC linked to, that advertisement has been mentioned before.

It's a case of the marketing department clearly not being familiar with the way the product is actually used. I would love to see a more modern design as well. 

Top Labels in this Space