Is Google Appsheet suitable for front-user interactivity with statistical modeling?

Hi!

This is my first foray into Google Appsheet, and it looks like an amazing tool! Looking through the boilerplate templates, I haven't quite come across what I'm looking for. To summarize:

• I have lots of data stored in a G-Sheet's tab (although I can just save and call it from BigQuery moving forward);
  • I have another tab with my calculation functions;
  • I've another tab with my data visualizations, generated from my calculations (think bar-charts, lineplots etc.).

What I want is:

• To invite a limited number of front-user to use my app;
  • For the front-user to be able to input variables into my model and have the outputs visualized instantaneously, in a data visualization of my choosing;
  • For the front-user to not have access to the backend with my custom calculation functions and raw data.

The vast majority of use-cases for Google Appsheet I've browsed are for management and productivity purposes. I want my use-case to be for the front-user to explore the outputs of my model through data visualizations, providing them the ability to write the input themselves (for example, I want my end-user to be able to write different percentages for different scenarios).

And before someone mentions dashboards: I want to avoid recoding my backend. If I can source my backend directly from G-Sheet, that'll save me time and make it super-convenient to edit and share the model with collaborators, most of whom are not programmers to begin with.

Are there case studies like this out there I can look at for reference? Is what I'm asking generally feasible in Google Appsheet?

Solved Solved
0 3 307
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So you just need to use Per User Per Month licencing 

• For the front-user to be able to input variables into my model and have the outputs visualized instantaneously, in a data visualization of my choosing;

Your options are Appsheet Charts, something like QuickChart.io or Google Data Studio

• For the front-user to not have access to the backend with my custom calculation functions and raw data.

This is one reason I moved from creating Google Sheets for my clients over to Appsheet.  Also means they can't keep deleting or editing stuff too

providing them the ability to write the input themselves (for example, I want my end-user to be able to write different percentages for different scenarios).

So you'd let them create a record in Appsheet and then this could update the data or display the data in the form

And before someone mentions dashboards: I want to avoid recoding my backend. If I can source my backend directly from G-Sheet, that'll save me time and make it super-convenient to edit and share the model with collaborators, most of whom are not programmers to begin with.

Appsheet can play nice with Google Sheets formulas.  But not that in most cases Appsheet does not work with 'live' data form the spreadsheet.  Only with the data it had at the last sync.  So if you have a spreadsheet formula of =A1+B1 in C1 then appsheet will not show the result until you sync.  However if you simply change it to [A]+[B] in appsheet then appsheet can do this calculation and show you an immediate result.  Apart from some complex Trig functions, I've found it MUCH easier to do calculation formulas in Appsheet.

Are there case studies like this out there I can look at for reference? Is what I'm asking generally feasible in Google Appsheet?

I've been a UK based Appsheet dev for 6 years now.  So if you want to see some examples and have a virtual chat, I'm happy to oblige ๐Ÿ™‚

(PII Removed by Staff)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

So you just need to use Per User Per Month licencing 

Your options are Appsheet Charts, something like QuickChart.io or Google Data Studio

This is one reason I moved from creating Google Sheets for my clients over to Appsheet.  Also means they can't keep deleting or editing stuff too

providing them the ability to write the input themselves (for example, I want my end-user to be able to write different percentages for different scenarios).

So you'd let them create a record in Appsheet and then this could update the data or display the data in the form

Appsheet can play nice with Google Sheets formulas.  But not that in most cases Appsheet does not work with 'live' data form the spreadsheet.  Only with the data it had at the last sync.  So if you have a spreadsheet formula of =A1+B1 in C1 then appsheet will not show the result until you sync.  However if you simply change it to [A]+[B] in appsheet then appsheet can do this calculation and show you an immediate result.  Apart from some complex Trig functions, I've found it MUCH easier to do calculation formulas in Appsheet.

I've been a UK based Appsheet dev for 6 years now.  So if you want to see some examples and have a virtual chat, I'm happy to oblige ๐Ÿ™‚

(PII Removed by Staff)

@1minManager thank you for your very thorough response!

Just to clarify a couple of things:

Say I have an area chart: I just want that chart to be able to change based on the user changing a single variable, so that they can observe the outcome of my model based on different scenarios that they can think on.  I wouldn't be storing their inputs into my database or anything like that.

I also wouldn't be working with live data; syncing data is perfectly fine.

However my G-Sheet's backend document is complex, with many formulas calling variables across data stored in different tabs throughout the document. What I want to know is if I can just display the data visualizations I've built in that backend in AppSheets without having to recreate the formulas in AppSheets.

Would love to see some examples; will DM you.

Sure, lets talk and see what you're doing now.  Thats the easiest way for me to work out the best option for you to choose.

Top Labels in this Space