Is it possible to link a local database to AppSheet?

My company uses an industry specific software that stores data locally, and we use it as our main database. I manually export this data throughout the day to an excel sheet, then copy and paste it into my gSheet that I’m using for our AppSheet App. Our Sales Team is continuously adding new orders throughout the day, so having to manually update the gSheet multiple times a day is something I really don’t want to do. Is there a way to auto-export the local database to a gSheet, so that I can create an app, based off the auto-exported data?

0 3 2,786
3 REPLIES 3

Yes, but you need the Corporate Level Plan to do this. I currently have our SQL server and Azure linked to two apps within Appsheet. By linking your database to Appsheet, you no longer would need Gsheets as the database(or table/view within the database) would become the back end data for the app.

@Brady_Lovell - well… kinda.

IF you must use an excel sheet as your source, and then want to convert to google sheet automatically, you can manually import your excel into gdrive and connect appsheet to that file, or you could use google script to do this for you.

Depends how willing you are to learn about google scripting. Here is a gist that does exactly that. You define the file ID of the excel file, and the code converts this to a google spreadsheet. You may have some work to do adjusting the code if you want to use the same excel file each time and the same gsheet each time.

An example is here:

https://gist.github.com/azadisaryev/ab57e95096203edc2741

I have not used this code before so can’t vouch for how well it works. I tend to write my own code for my specific cases…

Depending upon what “database” you are talking about, it might also be possible to read that data directly into a gsheet (and just skip excel). This may avoid the need for a change in appsheet plan as well.

Example code:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42208721/how-to-connect-google-sheets-to-database

also note… by using google scripting, not only can you automate the import, you can also use “triggers” to run the script on an automatic basis (eg: hourly). This has saved me a ton of work and keeps the data “fresh”, which is always good for users who rely on the application…

Top Labels in this Space