Is part of not working

I have a parent table that has a reference to a child table containing just pictures. When I delete the parent record, I expect for the child record associated with the parent record to be deleted as well. any thoughts?

Things to know:

1. The child table is the only is part of reference child table.
  2. There are 2 more ref to tables that are not is part of.
  3. The parent table is call "Real Estate" and the child table is call "Fotos".
  4. The child table has multiple physical columns for pictures. 5 in total.
  5. The parent table has many virtual columns.
  6. The child table only has one virtual column which is the automatic reference row list to the parent table.
0 7 276
7 REPLIES 7

@casitasrd wrote:

When I delete the parent record

How are you performing the delete action? By manually selecting a button for the system-generated action on the parent row you want to delete? If that action is being invoked via other means--e.g., the AppSheet API--I wonder whether that may not trigger deletion of 'is part of' child records.

@dbaum Yes. I'm using the system generated delete action within the app.

The pictures not deleting either even when I delete the actual record of the pictures. They stay in the folder.

@dbaum  Apparently , Images cannot be deleted when you delete a record. 

When using the folder as a table it does work, however, it only allows you to have one single file per record. Is there a way to add multiple files at a time?

I'm talking about deleting the files from the child record does work when using folder as a table. haven't tried deleting the child record from parent.

@casitasrd wrote:

When I delete the parent record, I expect for the child record associated with the parent record to be deleted as well

It sounds like this actually is working--i.e., you delete a parent record and all child records associated via an Is part of Ref type column are also deleted.

@casitasrd wrote:

Images cannot be deleted when you delete a record

Yes, that's my understanding--i.e., when you delete a record any files referenced in that record's columns are not deleted.

@casitasrd wrote:

Is there a way to add multiple files at a time?

I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe create a table view where you can simultaneously select multiple rows.

Also, consider whether you could use Apps Script to accomplish what you need. For example, maybe you could create an automation triggered by record deletion that Calls a script to trash relevant files.

Thank you @dbaum . I'm not going to worry about this anymore. Just let it be the way it is. It's perfect just how it is.

Top Labels in this Space