Issue with Barscanning

I've created an inventory tracking app and I have barcode scanning as well as part number columns on both the purchases and sales views. I want my employees to be able to choose how they enter purchases and sales, either by scanning or picking the part number. I'm testing the app before I release it to my company, and when I enter a purchase by choosing the part number the app updates correctly and shows the updated quantity on hand in both the app and the Google Sheet. However, if I just scan the barcode, it's not associating the change with the part. It's showing a time stamp and the barcode as well as the quantity increase, but it's not showing up under the actual part. It seems to be considering it a "mystery part". How do I fix this?

0 2 79
  • UX
2 REPLIES 2

@vuworld wrote:

However, if I just scan the barcode, it's not associating the change with the part. It's showing a time stamp and the barcode as well as the quantity increase, but it's not showing up under the actual part. It seems to be considering it a "mystery part". How do I fix this?

There is no magic with barcodes.  The scanner simply converts the barcode into its representative number.  That number is then simply another identifier that can be used. 

There are two "modes" of scanning, 1) scan to get the initial resulting number and associate it with a data row  2) scan to perform a lookup and retrieve the data row already associated with the barcode number.

HOW the barcode number gets associated to the data is something you have to build/implement.  WHAT happens after you retrieve a row associated with the barcode again is something you have to build.

So when you say "if I just scan the barcode, it's not associating the change with the part", did you build this as a feature into your app?  If so then please provide some more details about your implementation.

Otherwise, you will need to build the app to perform the association you wish to have happen.

Thanks for responding. What I did was register the barcode to the product so it's associated with it. So I was under the impression that when you scan the barcode, it would automatically populate the part number into the part number field, and then I would save the adjustment. Currently, once I scan the barcode, it's still forcing me to add the part number by hand from the drop-down list in order to actually have the adjustment registered to the product it goes with. I thought that since I had registered the barcode to the item it would do this for me, but I guess I'm missing a step somewhere. Do you have any idea how I would fix this?

Top Labels in this Space