Issue with Form and Updates

I am trying to create a bundled action that lets me edit and row's "Location" column and creates a row in a separate sheet that logs the change for tracking purposes. I have created both the "Location Update" action and the "Create a new row" action, and they both work as intended independently, however, they stop working when put triggered by a bundled. 

If I put the update location action first to trigger, it updates the location as intended, however, it does not create a new entry in the Log view. If I create the log first and then update the location, the log is created with the original location, the location is then changed, and then another log is created with the changed location, leading to two different log creations from one button press. 

I am not sure what I can do to fix this or why it works when triggered in a certain order and not when the order is changed. If anyone has any suggestions or links that might help me figure out this problem, please let me know. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

0 4 96
4 REPLIES 4

Hi

How are your actions set up? All on one table that you are updating and logging?

If so, a composite action should work as expected such as

Update and Log -> value updated and the updated value logged

Log and Update -> the initial value logged and the value updated.

You do not use the Form Saved action?

More background info would help.

Hello TeeSee,

I have several different sheets associated with this app, but these two actions only interact with 2 of these sheets: the "Tools" sheet and the "Tool Log" sheet; I cannot combine these together in any way because they have different information and the "Tool Log" sheet can have repeats while the "Tools" sheet cannot.

I currently have 3 actions set up: an update location action, a create log entry action, and a wrapper action that bundles these two other actions together.

The update location action let me click on a specific entry from my "Tool" data sheet and change its location using the App: Open a form to edit this row option. The log entry action uses the Data: Add a new row to another table using values from this row to create a new log entry that autofills some info such as timestamp and user ID but otherwise grabs location and tool ID from the "Tool" table. The third action bundles these two actions together.

Individually, these actions work as intended. The Update Location action will update the location of the tool in the "Tools View" and clicking "Create Tool Log" will create a tool log with the correct information; the issue comes when I try to bundle these two actions together. Putting the update location action before the tool log creation action will lead to the location being updated but the tool log not being created. Alternatively, putting the tool log creation action first will create a log with the old location, then the location will be updated, and then another log will be created with the new location; depending on the order in which these actions are triggered, I either get no log created or 2 logs being created.

Hopefully this will help you give me some feedback, I eagerly await any suggestions you may have!

Marc_Dillon_0-1652796637441.png

Grouped Actions stop after the first navigation Action.

I understand your situation better now.

I am guessing you are firing the composite action either by a row selected action or via a button directly on a detailed view.

Yes, the way you have configured your actions does not create a log entry after you open a form to edit it and save it.

What I would try is

1) Let the user edit a tool row by opening a form. You can do it anyway you want  - i.e. set you action to the row selected event, a button on a detail view, OR simply use the system generated Edit action. You can even use your composite action though it is rather meaningless - it only functions as opening a form. 

2) Set the add a row action on the save event of the Tools form.

This should log your tool's location with the updated value.

Hope this works for you.

Top Labels in this Space