Issues with app syncing speed

Hi guys,

I've been having some issues with the sync speed of my app for a while now. The app has to intermittently sync approx. 12 updates when a user adds an entry. This sync can often take about 5 minutes which is really affecting our efficiency.

These issues seem to have been gradually getting worse as we have been scaling so I'm not sure if its due to the number of rows in the tables, or the number of different tables, or the number of different sheets within the Google Sheets workbook (a lot of these sheets aren't linked as tables on the app, just there for data).

So i've got a few questions if anyone has any answers;

1. Does the number of rows of data in a table affect performance much? We have maybe 4000 rows max in a two of our tables, the other tables have far fewer (less than 100)

2. The Sheets workbook has many different pages/sheets within, probably 25+, but only maybe 10 of these are linked to the app, will these unlinked sheets affect the performance of the app even though they're not linked as tables in the app?

3. Does the number of people adding rows to the same table make a difference? I personally don't think this matters as we're suffering slow sync speed even when its only one of us working.

Also would love any other advice on improving sync speed. Going to try and see if Security Filters can have much impact on the speed, and might also try copying the app and making the new one a much leaner version without any of the excess tables in app.

Thanks all in advance

0 1 111
1 REPLY 1

This is a fairly broad topic and there could be a few reasons for extended sync time.

The following articles and posts will help you to get a sense of knowing where your app stands against the recommended practices. Of course please note that these are not mathematical rules but recommended practices. So if the guideline says 30 tables, then  having 32 tables may not always cause an issue. 

App performance: Core concepts - AppSheet Help

Limits on tables per application - AppSheet Help

Scale using security filters - AppSheet Help

Also please note that virtual columns with multirow expressions can be a major cause of a large sync time. Both the posts below have contribution from AppSheet experts.

Solved: Re: Speed up load time for a App - Page 3 - Google Cloud Community

Solved: Improving performance by getting rid of unnecessar... - Google Cloud Community

Hope this helps in getting a perspective.

Top Labels in this Space