Just started and I could use some help

Good day all,
I started today with using appsheet but sadly I am already stuck (and I am not good at it I think)

I want to create an app for my sonโ€™s soccer team. Which shows the matches, players and positions (incl substitutes).

I created a data set with 9 players, 3 matches and a table with the positionsโ€ฆ they play with 6 per match (1 goalie, 2 backs, 1 mid, 2 front).

For now I want to be able (as a coach) to place the players on the different positions per match per period. So I think all data should be connected but I donโ€™t have a clue how to do that.
If you can help me with tips, existing template, YouTube videos or any other help please let me know. I am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance

1 5 148
5 REPLIES 5

I would start by thinking about the constants. A match has a team of six players therefor you parent table is the match and you should have, along with columns for the match such as date etc, a column for each position in the team. You then have a second table with the players.

When you add a match, you select a player for each position.

Have a go, see where you get and come back if you have further questions but a clue here is that each position will be a ref to the players table.

Thank you very much, this is slightly different then I started but sounds very logical! I definitely will try this. Thanks again

Edit/Update: I see one problem with this approach. During the match, players need to switch positions.
When the team is complete we have 9 players for 6 position so we switch the three substitutes every 6.25 minutes (a match is 2x25 min). So per match I have 8 different situation/positions.

It sounds like the same concept still will work but you need a third table. Table 1 will be the match, Table 2 is the periods within the match and table three is the players. It is table 2 that would have the players associated with it.

You could combine the math and period tables if you wish.

My suggestion for Tables:

1. Players (name, contact info, etc)
  2. Positions (really basic Table, mainly just 1 or 2 columns)
  3. Matches
  4. Periods (Ref to Matches)
  5. Position_Assignments (3 Ref columns, 1 to player, 1 to position, 1 to period)

Thank you very much. I have made this and will see if I can get it to work!

Top Labels in this Space