Keep track entry updates

Hi. I want to make an app that whenever there were updates done by one my colleagues on the data in the appsheet, there will be records that everyone can see what are the updates, by whom and when the updates were done. 

0 7 143
7 REPLIES 7

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @snerdya 

1) About data:

You may want to add a new column, and set this formula expression:

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[columnNameToTrack]

2) About timestamp:

Another column with type ChangeTimeStamp

3) About whom:

Another column with expression:

USEREMAIL()

Hi @Aurelien , thank you for replying. but i have several questions. For the data, may i know where should i add the expression? and by adding new column means i should add new column in Google Sheet or add a virtual column? 

I have implemented a similar requirement in one of my app. Actually i created another Table for that. 

I created a table named LOG. Whenever anyone edits or adds any entry I add a new row to the LOG table by creating an ACTION of each Table to be tracked to add a new row to another table using values from this Row. Add made this action to be the default action when any form is saved. 

The LOG table has columns

[Log] = Concatenation of all desired columns of original table to be logged 

[User] = Usersettings(Name)

[Update Time] = Now()

OK, thank you for this further context.

If you intend to create a LOG table, then you might prefer using a Bot for this.

You can specify to trigger the bot on each type of action (Update, Add, Delete...) and copy the necessary informations on this table.

Aurelien_0-1662376113639.png

Thank to this, you can still develop the app without having to deal with any action in your form events.

@Aurelien sorry BOT is better method. I used Action in my old app. In another one i have used BOT for the same. I totally forgot that. 

When I start building a table, I start with something I call The Standard Starting Template

• It contains a section of "metadata" columns, which record information about the actions done to a record.  Things like:  CreationDateTime, EditDateTime, EditCount, EditUserEmail, etc.

They basically capture:

• For the creation of the record:  who, when, where, on what device, and how long did it take
  • For the edit of the record: all the same stuff
  • I also capture a count of how many times it's been edited

With all these, you know who made it, who was the last person to edit things, and how many times it's been edited.

I've had apps that went through a US federal security audit; and because I included these columns, each time the apps were found to have, "more than sufficient amounts of record keeping"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's more functionality included in The Standard Starting Template, but these are the record keeping bits that I thought you might be interested in.

Like I said at the start: whenever I'm creating a table, I include these columns by default.  This way, no matter what, I've got all the knowledge about what's going on with my data that I could possibly need.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @snerdya 

As I said in your duplicate post, here is an answer to your question:

Solved: Audit log for each change - Google Cloud Community

Here is a quick search to do for what you want:

Search - Google Cloud Community

Top Labels in this Space