Lab Sample Tracking - ensure unique form entry combinations, flag error for duplicate entry

Hello all, hopefully someone can assist. I have a sample tracking App built to manage the status and track progress of various samples in my lab.

It is a straightforward sample entry form, with reference tables for:
1. Project # (4 number reference code)
2. Site name (Hundreds of unique sites)
3. Replicate (10 subsamples, labelled A - J)
4. Progress (status report, i.e. "Not Started", "In Progress", "Complete")

In the form you can choose:
Project # -> Site Name -> Replicate -> Progress
Example Input: "2137" "KD/28" "G" "In Progress"

I would like to have a warning message appear when someone enters the same combination by accident. I understand this is a validif and and() statement but I am struggling to wrap my head around the conditional statement that would be required. I do not have any code to show.

Additionally, if it is possible to filter out dropdown entries as you go, that would be greatly beneficial. For instance, if a later entry is "2137" "KD/28" "G" - how do I remove "In progress" as an option, since there already exists an entry with this combination?

I am a new user to the app so would appreciate some guidance. Kind regards

0 3 67
3 REPLIES 3

Probably a virtual column with a formula like:

[Project #] & "_" & [Site name] & "_" & [Replicate] & "_" & [Progress]

Then a valid if of:

NOT(IN([_THISROW].[Virtual Column], SameTableName[Virtual Column]))

I would have to think about accomplishing your other subquestion.

Thank you so much! This works! Please let me know if you can offer some advice on my other subquestion. Much appreciated!

Not sure if this will work for your subquestion but give it a try. This would need to be in the 'suggested values' setting for [Target Column]:

SELECT(SameTableName[Target Column], NOT(CONTAINS([Virtual Column], "In progress")))

Top Labels in this Space