Leaving Google--but not the community

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Since '17 or so, I've been a part-time worker for AppSheet then Google. Google has chosen to end my engagement with them as of the end of this year ('22). So come the new year, I will no longer have any special access to the inner workings of AppSheet. I will remain a participant of the community, though.

42 21 1,555
21 REPLIES 21

You know what? I don't know how hard will this be financially, but this might be the best path considering how unstable and liberal is Google.
I just wish you the best on your next work adventure, I think you will still be the best source of AppSheet advance knowledge there is

Sorry to see you go.

You offer great advice

I wish the best for u @Steve

Your legacy is forever in whatever company u be

I wish all the best for you, your advices have always been extremely usefu to me!

Regards

Hi @Steve ,

Thank you for all your excellent guidance to the community during last many years. We all have all got so much used to see you  guiding us with your best quality answers and legendary tips and tricks.

It is disheartening to know you are leaving Google. You have always been a great link between the community and the AppSheet team. At the same time, it is heartening to know that you will be still associated with the community.  Any community needs solid mainstays like you. 

Apart from @Steve 's excellent guidance to the community, he has always been very encouraging to the entire community. Just the fact that @Steve has given 1700+ solutions and 53000+ likes speaks volumes about his massive and active participation in the community. And his likes are always thoughtful , yet generous and encouraging.  I always consider that if my post has received likes from @Steve , it means the solution/approach is  in the right direction.

@Steve Thank you very much again and all the very best  in all your .future endeavors.

@Steve @Thank you and sorry to hear that google is loosing a valuable resource. all the best in your future ,  and please do continue to support this community with your helpful replies. saw your replies to few of my posts and questions. i just joined this appsheet community for the past 1 month but as always you replied to my posts when i had questions. your expertise is much appreciated during all these years.

I'm glad you will still be in the community but I'm sorry that Google isn't giving you proper recognition and reward for your contributions.  I'm one of thousands of people you've helped over the years.  Thanks so much!

P.S.  I really wish we had a "sad" button . . . not just a "like" button.  It's hard to "like" this kind of announcement but I know there are many, many people who would react in a different way if it were possible.

Hopefully this doesn't mean you're leaving the appsheet community entirely.  Your knowledge of appsheet is such that I'm sure you'll never be out of work.

One of the big changes I've noticed since Google took over is that there has been a communication gap between Users/Devs and the Appsheet Development team.  @Steve bridged this gap a little and I'm a little concerned if that link will be replaced.  We all want appsheet to suceed.  But I've seen many software projects where the developers just kept add new shinny buttons and not listening to what their users wanted or needed.

Hi @Steve Really sorry to hear this. But I know this is just another better beginning for you. All the very best for your future. Thanks for all those solutions and likes. Appsheet community owes you a lot. 

Thanks for all you did Steve.

The Appsheet community would for sure not be the same without your continued engagement since 2017.

No!!! Steve i need you!!  The person they had "helping" me today didn't know a darn thing.  

@Steve  Steve thank you for all your help! The whole community appreciates you. 

What a pity Steve, you were a great contribution to this community. I hope you continue and I highly respect all the work you have done up to here.

Thank you @Steve for all your contributions that made AppSheet a better product!

Thank You @Steve 

Always appreciated your input and will continue to do so. I hope that your future endeavors will be even more successful.

Somehow I missed this post, although I did see the the related thread / thank-you Praveen posted. I had assumed (incorrectly) that it was @Steve's decision to move on from Google. Honestly, shocked to find out that this was in fact Googles decision.

A quick pause/disclaimer that I only know whats publicly available through this community, so I may be missing important details...

But this is simply the most egregious example of Googles poor decision making at play, and represents just how out of touch with the community AppSheet has become.

On the exactly same thought.... 

We lost Aleksi as well due to same reason.

Well, my guess is that since Google is laying off thousands of people they just didn't wanted to renew the contract with @Aleksi nor @Steve 

I can't understand how is it possible to cancel an asset like you. You are so helpfull to the community and Appsheet knowledge would not have been so accessible without your constant help. 

Still, it may be the beginning of a new path for you as your knowledge can definitely interest a lot of parties. 

All the best for you ! 

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Thank you all for the comments! I do very much enjoy being a part of this community and sharing the journey with AppSheet.

Sorry I've been so quiet recently. I dove into a long-neglected (paid) project that continues to keep me busy.

@SkrOYC, my impression is that @Aleksi wasn't let go, but rather was put on hiatus to accommodate laws around long-term contract work. I didn't get any official info on this, just based on what I gathered from offhanded comments. I may be wrong.

Top Labels in this Space