Licenses for external users of Google Workspace

Most of the apps I have developed are used by users who have Google Workspace, so they do not need to purchase AppSheet licenses since they have the AppSheet Core plan within Workspace.

During March I developed another application for a new client.  While in prototype mode, I shared the app with an email belonging to MS 365 Business and a personal Gmail account. I deployed the app on April 1st, created 2 users in a Workspace account for this customer and told them to log in to the deployed app with the 2 Workspace users. In the "Share app" option I added these 2 new users (I didn't delete the MS 365 and Gmail accounts form the "Share app").

Yesterday I found out that my client is still using the MS 365 Business account and personal Gmail account to access the app. They have been using the app in deployed state for 25 days.

Why can they access the app if the MS 365 Business account and personal Gmail account do not have AppSheet licenses?

0 2 99
2 REPLIES 2

AppSheet's business model has been that you need Licenses for only the ACTIVE users each month.  For example if you have 100 users that MAY use the app but only 80 users actively access the app each month, you will only need 80 Licenses.

I don't know how Google Workspace licensing current works with Appsheet.  There have been a number of changes over the past couple of years as Google has worked to fold AppSheet into it's suite of tools.  

It may be that AppSheet somehow sees that there are sufficient Workspace Licenses to cover the non-Workspace user - i.e. they don't actually check specific users.   Or maybe they just haven't built in the capability to separate Workspace Licensing from non-Workspace Licensing yet and are allowing all users regardless - as long as there Licenses to cover the volume.

AppSheet will notify you if they think you have exceeded the number of Licenses users.

As you said, it's not clear why the licenses work this way.

I'll let time pass and see how the licenses work.

Thanks for your respone @WillowMobileSys .

Top Labels in this Space