Licensing Q: How would you deal with this scenario?

I'm developing an app for a potential client who will hopefully be going ahead in a couple of weeks at which I'll deploy the app for their 5 users - so far so good!

The same client is looking to go nationwide with a start a web based company offering the same service but subcontracting it out to third parties and they want to use the same app (or a slight variation).  This is great, but the app could be used by maybe 1-500 users over the course of 12 months but potentially once one or very infrequently.

I'd want to keep the licensing costs as low as possible but will need security (i.e. limiting the data a user can see to just that associated with their login email) so I couldn't go with a public app.

Any suggestions on how I should approach this licencing conundrum - license each user but only for 1 month then take them off the user list?

1 5 99
5 REPLIES 5

The way I see it, consider the base cost of USD10.00 per user per month with no other alternative.
Now, considering the amount of data that might be on the backend, Enterprise starts to sound like the best option, and it's USD20.00

@TedM wrote:

Any suggestions on how I should approach this licencing conundrum - license each user but only for 1 month then take them off the user list?

Pay for a number of licences based on the real usage. At first you will be adjusting month-by-month reactively, then you will have a better sense of the usage and you'll be able to adjust on a more proactive way.
Note that the licencing cost is prorated to the day of the month you change the licences amount

Account and billing: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Licences are not user specific.  You are buying the number of licenses for the expected number of actual users that month.  For example, let's say you expect usage to ramp up in the first few months.  In the first month you expect 20 users so you would buy 20 licenses.  In the second month you expect 50 users - increase licenses to 50 for month 2.  In month 3 - 100 -increase to 100...and so on.

AppSheet will notify you if your number users goes above the purchased number of licenses.

At some point, once you have reached maximum actual usage, you will likely find that the actual number of users will level out below the total possible and that will be the level you want to maintain.  For example, if you think there will be 500 total maximum users, the actual number of active users in an average month might be only 400 users so you would only need to maintain 400 licenses.

BE AWARE - AppSheet WILL NOT notify you if your user usage level drops below the number of purchased licenses.  It is your responsibility to scale back license purchase if needed.  Let's say you expect 100 user next month so buy 100 licenses.  But something happens and you don't get the increase in users,  it will be up to you to adjust the number back down.  

@WillowMobileSys wrote:

AppSheet will notify you if your number users goes above the purchased number of licenses.

I presume if there's a sudden rush and the users go above the purchased licenses the extra users will not be able to log on - or will I be notified allowing me to increase the users licenses?

Thanks for the insights .... I thought that might be the case.

Your users won't notice, AppSheet will notify so you can adquire more licences

Great - thanks all.

๐Ÿ‘

Top Labels in this Space