Link from form to display training instructions

adambc

Hello,
I am trying to find a way to link from within a form to provide users additional detail on how to fill out a particular field to help them with training.
Ideally I could provide a button or link for the form field that links to another view within the App with detailed instructions.
Does anybody know how to achieve this?

0 7 533
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

Add two extra columns where the first one asks from the user like โ€œDo you need help with this one?โ€ and if he/she clicks Yes, show a Show/Text field where are all your instructions for that field. Another possibility is a PDF file that you can open when itโ€™s a Show/URL field. Video could be possible as well.

Thank you Aleksi, this is a helpful idea. However an extra Yes/No field would add too much extra clutter to the form for those who donโ€™t need the instructions.
Is there anyway to have a link from an existing column trigger the display of the Show/Text field ?

One wayโ€ฆ add one button to the beginning of your form and set the initial value as FALSE. You will show all instructions only when the user selects Yes.

Cheers yeah that would help a bit, but still extra clutter for those who donโ€™t need the instructions. Also another issue is that when the show/hide field is shown, it wonโ€™t appear directly related to the field itโ€™s trying to provide instruction for as there will be spacing.
The ideal thing would be to have the ability to add a ? tooltip that can when clicked shows more detail about the field.

Something Iโ€™ve done in the past is to create a user setting for this instead of putting it inside the form, this way people can specify if they want to see the extra details or not in a settings toggle type of way.

the downside here however is that if somebody is in the middle of a form and they want to turn on the instructions, then you have to leave the form to go do that.

my typical strategy with this is to create a formula inside the description of fields, and if somebody has the toggle turned off it just says the column nameโ€ฆ If somebody turned the toggle on for details, then I show a big long explanation in the column description.

MultiTech, it sounds like that might be the best available option, but yes it has the downside of users not knowing about the setting or not being bothered to set it once in the middle of the form.

Within the text field formula with the instructions have you been able to include images or format the text e.g. bold or color?

Negative.

Top Labels in this Space