Link images from another apps database

Hi Guys

I don't know how to do this. I add the Name Database to IQC Inspection Apps. All the data is working but the images link is broken. Where is the location to add this link in the editor and How to write the string?

desmond_lee_0-1687480870449.png

Solved Solved
0 12 195
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@desmond_lee wrote:

Can I choose not to move anything

Unfortunately, no.  Because AppSheet is using relative pathing, there a certain portion of the path, the "root", that is fixed - per app.   In an app that uses a database, this "root" path is the Default App Folder.   The REST of the path to the file or image is what is stored in the column.

So the only way to share files between apps is if the "root" is the same.  To make the "root" the same, other folders impacted by that change would also need to be moved. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@desmond_lee wrote:

Where is the location to add this link in the editor and How to write the string?

Are you trying to:

• share the images between the apps
  • copy the images
  • move the images
  • Something else

Hi there thanks for reply. I want to share the images between two apps. The apps that having the image is e_Profile and the apps that share the images of the e-Profle is IQC Inspection. The location of the image is in the below. Where is the sharing setting and how to write this expression?

desmond_lee_0-1687816959555.png

Looks like nobidy knows that. I am going to Appsheet support direct.

Maybe my response crossed with yours?  I was asking about your intentions for the files - shared, copied, moved or something else?   How you approach this depend on what your goal is.

I only want to share the images files in that folder.

Based on what you have provided, it appears that the images are either taken by the camera from the app or uploaded through the app.  In both of these cases, AppSheet uses relative paths to store the images.  The "root" of the path, when using a database as implied by your post, is the Default App Path setting inside of the App. 

Next, the default by AppSheet is to create a folder that follows the format:

"<<table_name>>_Images" or "<<table_name>>_Files"

But you have control over the name of this folder.

So, what you can do is change the Default App Path in BOTH apps to be the same.  Then for those columns where you want to share files/images between the apps - explicitly specify the folder name in the column - e.g. "App_Images", in both apps.

For all other file or image columns leave them as they are now.

CAUTION:  If you have other folders being created underneath the current paths for these apps individually, you will need to migrate them to the new Default App Path for the app to find them. 

For the columns where the resulting files/images are shared you will also need to update the path recorded in the existing data rows to point to the new shared folder names.

I hope this helps!

Images is take by both camera and gallery. Can I choose not to move anything i.e. everything remain default but put a link to the table (table from soruce apps e-Profile app) that I add in this IQC inspection Inspection app. I try to enter this string at the IQC Inspection, at the e-Profile Table that I have added in this IQC Inspection app, under the PICTURE field is does not work.

"appsheet/data/NameDatabaseApp-4685153/Name Database_Images"

desmond_lee_0-1687892619463.png

@desmond_lee wrote:

Can I choose not to move anything

Unfortunately, no.  Because AppSheet is using relative pathing, there a certain portion of the path, the "root", that is fixed - per app.   In an app that uses a database, this "root" path is the Default App Folder.   The REST of the path to the file or image is what is stored in the column.

So the only way to share files between apps is if the "root" is the same.  To make the "root" the same, other folders impacted by that change would also need to be moved. 

Phew ! No way I am going to change this. I have done that once on move everything in the same root and this is a major job. I will use a script to copy extra set of images to the IQC Inspection root. Thank very much this is consider accept solution base on your expnation

There might be one other consideration if you are using Google as your file storage.  You can select ANY Google folder and pull it into an app as a Table.  In the second app this would give you a table list of the images from the the first app to select and use.  I don't know how you are using the images in the second app so not certain if this approach would work well.

I am using this table as a view. It will be only READ. So how to do this? Any example of this method

Refer to this article on how to set it up:

https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/11905920?hl=en

Top Labels in this Space