Linking views together

Hi,

I have two tables that share a common linking ID.  Table 1 = a list of ITEMS.  Table 2= a list of corresponding content that describes WHY each "ITEM" is important...that is, a text explanation.  

In the app, I have one view that is a card view of the different items.  In the bottom right corner, of each card, I have a question-mark button that I'd like the user to be able to touch in order to get to "Why is this important?" explanation from table 2 for only THAT particular item.  

I've succesffully linked the ITEM view (card list) with the "Why is this important?" content, but each time I click the icon, it shows ALL the explanations for all the items in a list.  I'd like it to ONLY show the explanation for the card selected in the first view.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

0 7 112
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

Thanks Marc.  I read that and still can't get it to work.  

Why do I keep getting "Post flooding detected when I try to respond??

I have LINKTOROW("Table #1 ID" , "View_rationale")

Note that Table #1 ID is the same as the ID in Table 2.  "View_rationale" is a view based on Table 2 (the table that has a list of rationales).  But it still returns the entire list in Table 2.

>>"I have LINKTOROW("Table #1 ID" , "View_rationale")"

That's literally your expression? You probably want LINKTOROW( [table 1 ID] , "view_rationale") instead.

>>"But it still returns the entire list in Table 2"

What do you mean "entire list"? Show a screenshot.

That's not the literal code (thought it might be easier to understand that way).  Sorry for confusion...the literal code is LINKTOROW(ID,View_rationale).  ID reflects the ID in the rationale table.  This code is in the "Target" field for the view.  This returns the entire list of rows of rationale however.  I'd like it to just show 1 below.

newbie11_0-1649774347263.png

Oh that's a Deck View. LINKTOROW only works for Detail Views.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/2357260-linktofilteredview

>>"the literal code is LINKTOROW(ID,View_rationale)"

You need to put "ID" within square brackets to retrieve the value in that column. Also best practice is to use quotes around the View name.

LINKTOROW( [ID] , "View_rationale" )

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I also wrote it as LINKTOROW(Rationale[ID],"View_rationale") and it returns the exact same thing as above.  Returns the entire column vs. a row.  NOTE:  It gave an error when I just entered [ID]

Made some slight progress by using this LINKTOROW([_THISROW],"View_rationale").  At least the row I want to show is shaded.  BUt still shows all the rows 🙂

newbie11_0-1649790540156.png

Top Labels in this Space