(List Subtraction Auto-Reduction) has Got To Go!

How do you find duplicates in a list?

This question has been posted here before, and tons of suggestions have been made, but no real solution has yet to be implemented that's practical and functional.

"Why is this so hard?" you ask???

Because many years ago, a decision was made about the following:

• When you subtract {list} - {list}, we're going to automatically apply UNQIUE() around the whole thing - removing any duplicates from that list.

But why would they do this?  Why would they automatically put in a formula, around the formula I'm making?

That's a good question, and one I asked many years ago when this first came up; the answer I got was something akin to, "we're trying to help and make it easy for non-technical types."

------------------------------------

So I pose the question again... How do you find duplicates in a list?

Any method that you  may try (other than some completely impractical unwieldy formulas) will reduce your resultant list to it's simplest terms - the very thing you're not trying to do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposed Solution

1. Remove the automatic (list - list) reduction
  2. Communicate that Unique() can be used to simplify your lists if needed
  3. Build a system to go through every AppSheet app in operation (both deployed and prototypes), detect a (list - list) situation, and wrap them with the Unique() function.
      - This will solve the problem the team communicated, of "not wanting to mess with current apps"
      - Any apps currently built, that rely on this automatic reduction, will simply update to now include the UNIQUE() function around their list subtraction... and the resulting behavior of the app will continue along as people are expecting.

-----------------------------------------------------

But.... if you remove this automatic reduction to simplest terms, then the following would work:

LIST(1, 2, 3, 3,4)  -  LIST(1, 2, 3, 4)  = LIST(3)

Thus allowing me to find the duplicate. Small moonwalker.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please and thank you... this has been a long time coming, and certain advanced calculations and functionalities won't work unless we can find duplicates.

7 3 130
3 REPLIES 3

@Arthur_Rallu This is one of the few - in fact now that I think about it... this might be the last - data manipulation functionality that AppSheet can't do.

This is an essential feature that we greatly need in our international studies. Essentially, we need an expression that can subtract one list from another and show the actual result - NOT removing duplicates. Such an expression would be immensely useful. 

Upvote!

Is there a work around? I'm stuck trying to figure out a solution

Top Labels in this Space