List from ref dropdown and still permit to use any value

Hi,

Is there a way I can use a ref dropdown from another table and the user can still put any value they want?

Actually it gives me a list of values from the other table (Contatos) but it doesn't allow the user to put an ordinary, non registered value. It only allows the user to insert a value trough the form addition of Contatos wich is inside the Transactions form. I just want to put a text there that I don't want to add to the registered Contacts database, so I don't need the user to go trough the addition form (Contatos Form).

Is there a way I can do this?

Ps. I enabled the  Allow other values and Auto-complete other values. But it doesn't work. It only searches values, it doesnt allow to use an ordinary value.

checktheclaws_0-1663597146502.png     checktheclaws_0-1663623481425.png

Here is the form for Transactions where is the dropdown input.

checktheclaws_1-1663624141712.png

And here is the dropdown list:

checktheclaws_2-1663624285333.png

It only allows to search and no to add a generic value. However, it allows to add trough the form of contacts in the button displayed.

I hope you can understand what I am in need? If you need more info you can ask.

I did see more people asking for this solution in other questions here in the community.

Thank you if you can help me.

0 4 94
4 REPLIES 4

If you don't need the column to have a formal Ref link to the other table, then change the base type to Text. That should allow you to still provide the list of suggested values from the other table (although you'd probably want that to be the actual names, and not the IDs) while also allowing user-entered values.

Another approach would be to use a new Yes/No column to allow the user to indicate whether they want to select a value using the column you already created or enter a custom value in a new Text column. A variation on this approach would be to include a choice like "Other" in your existing list and, when that's selected, enable a new Text column for the user to enter a custom value.

Thank yo ufor the reply.

The third idea is a very Interesting approach, gave me some possibilities to think of.

The best Experience would be to maintain the ref column because if I change it to text it works, but if the name of the contact, per example, changes afterwards, I will lose the link to the actual new contact name. That would be a problem of reliability in the app.

Does Appsheet only allows this function like I'm asking, if the column is not a Ref column? Maybe this answers my post with a >>It's not possible to do it<< the way I asked.

It's possible (I believe), but complicated and not a good user experience. You should consider another approach.

Thanks Steve, I'm not sure if this post has a solution yet.
I decided to create another enum option where user has to add the contact to the database but under a "No interest" type of contact, to maintain reliability in the app.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Cheers from BR.

Top Labels in this Space