Localize: "Syncing the app" is not working anymore

We are no longer able to localize the text that's shown when the app syncs.
The system has overwritten this in all our apps.

Fabian_Weller_0-1670492238329.png

Before, this was called Syncing the app and we had text or expressions in it. All of this got lost.
Info: It's under the "Starting up".
Now it only shows this message:

Fabian_Weller_1-1670492342544.png

@Steve 

2 13 607
13 REPLIES 13

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please contact AppSheet Support for help with this. I've also escalated internally.

Thanks @Fabian_Weller! We are putting out a fix for this now.

Thank you @Saavan for putting out a fix. Now I can change the Localize for "Syncing...".

But the problem is: The expressions we used for this are all gone. In all of our apps. These where complex expressions with CONTEXT("View") and other stuff. Please don't say that they are all gone.

@Steve @MultiTech @Suvrutt_Gurjar @Koichi_Tsuji @SkrOYC @Marc_Dillon @dbaum @WillowMobileSys @1minManager

It looks like they completely parge "Syncing the app" and in turn we lost the previous settings we made to that field.  It does not looks like new localize term of "Syncing....." is not replacing the label name for the same settings neither.

All in all, we lost the own setting completely.  I also checked the previous versions, but it will not give any help at all.

This is bad totally and first time I see the AppSheet parged app creators own settings if this is true. I never ever see such in the last 6 years.

I've checked a couple of mine and I can see a few CONTEXT("View")... formulas are there. Though I can't prove ATM that they are ALL there or that the ones I can see are working.

@Fabian_Weller wrote:

But the problem is: The expressions we used for this are all gone. In all of our apps. These where complex expressions with CONTEXT("View") and other stuff. Please don't say that they are all gone.

To be clear, I assume you are speaking about expressions used in the Localization list?

Did you check a prior app version?  If they are there then save that version as a backup and return to the normal version...if needed.  At the very least you could use that backup to copy/paste the expressions back into the current app.

Hi @WillowMobileSys as @Koichi_Tsuji mentioned above, also in the older version it is gone. I'm talking about the "Syncing..." field under localize. So we cannot restore what we had in there.

This is very frustrating. I know that also AppSheet Staff like @Rich_E used very clever expressions in this field. I think it was in this App: https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/How-to-Dynamically-Create-Smart-Areas-Boundaries...

But now... all gone.

@Steve @Aleksi can you please ping anyone from the AppSheet team to clarify: Will AppSheet restore the expressions we once had in Localize > "Syncing the app" (which is now called "Syncing...")? Or are these expressions forever gone so we have to built them again?

I think we as AppSheet customers don't want to blame anyone. We just want to have a clear direction.

@Fabian_Weller I checked this from our devs in the US and I will probably have the answer later today when they are online again.

@Fabian_Weller I just got a response from our devs and unfortunately you need to manually add them back one by one. Sorry for the disruption this caused.

Thank you @Aleksi for checking this with the devs.
One help if this happens again would be to have a backup. I saw that in the App Documentation we cannot see the Localize Part. This would be perfect, because we can download the App Documentation. Maybe AppSheet could insert the Localize Part in the App Documentation?

@lizlynch What do you think: Would it be fair to communicate this to us in the community? Maybe via an announcement? Since this affects all apps from every user. And this is not something one would recognize soon.

FYI, I've added a note to the release notes with regard to the action that is required. Thank you for the suggestion, @Fabian_Weller !

December 29, 2022

@lizlynch thank you very much.

@Aleksi there still seems to be an old fragment in the AppSheet code.
If you open the editor or if you refresh it with F5, it will show the old wording "Syncing the app" and will then change to the text you entered in Localize, where the initial value is: "Syncing..."

Top Labels in this Space