Logging ChangeLocation and Record Creation location

I would like to log the location a record was created, then update that whenever the record is editted.

This does not seem to be possible in one field though. 

What I've tried so far:

Using a column of type ChangeLocation
This does not log location on creation, and you cannot set and initial value of "here()" to it (which interestingly is different to ChangeTimeStamp, which can have an initial value of "now()")

Using an automation
I can get an automation to fire both on creation and record edi, but some some reason it will not populate at LatLong column - perhaps automations do not have access to device location?

Any suggestions how I can achieve this within one column?

Solved Solved
0 5 86
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's got me on the right path to the solution - thanks.

I've put Initial Value as here().

Then I've put ResetOnEdit as [_THISROW_BEFORE].[StartDateTime] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[StartDateTime].

(StartDateTime is the column I want to watch for changes)

That's sorted it and is working. 

Thanks again

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Are you not able to use if simply in the app formula with HERE() so that whenever the record is edited through the form, the latest location will be recorded

Sorry, one bit I missed in my initial post. I only want to update the LatLon value  when the record is created, or when a specific column's value is edited. I do not want to update it on every record edit.

Please add in the editable_If setting of the column

NOT(IN([key column], Table_Name[key column]))

This assumes that one is not able to set the initial value for the location columns as you mentioned. Or else initial value is the best option for such requirement.

That's got me on the right path to the solution - thanks.

I've put Initial Value as here().

Then I've put ResetOnEdit as [_THISROW_BEFORE].[StartDateTime] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[StartDateTime].

(StartDateTime is the column I want to watch for changes)

That's sorted it and is working. 

Thanks again

Great. Thank you for the update.

I am sorry that I missed the following part in your requirement while suggesting the editable_if approach.

@PhilTeare wrote:

or when a specific column's value is edited

So my solution was only for 

@PhilTeare wrote:

when the record is created,

Anyway nice to know you got it working based on the  initial value approach.

Top Labels in this Space