Looker Studio - Appsheet Datasource

I have an Appsheet that is using the Appsheet DB. Majority of my tables are using ref fields back to an "Accounts" table. Everything is working fine in Appsheet, however, when I create a Looker Studio datasource and connect to my Appsheet DB, all of my Account ref fields are not updating properly. I'm getting IDs vs my Account names. 

It appears that Appsheet DB doesn't like custom KEYs for some reason and when I change it to be the name of my Account vs Row ID, the references break and I receive errors when syncing to the DB. When I removed the custom KEYs and when back to using Row ID, Appsheet reference work, but I lose the ability to get Account names in my Looker datasource and instead get my IDs. 

All of my references are accurate with nothing broken within Appsheet. Any ideas where I can start to look? 

0 5 386
5 REPLIES 5

@cdworkin wrote:

but I lose the ability to get Account names in my Looker datasource and instead get my IDs. 

I think AppSheet utilizes its own API to connect with Looker, implying that it retrieves raw data without fetching references or labels from different tables. Labels are a feature specific to AppSheet and aren't natively supported in Looker. I haven't personally tried this integration. To display labels in Looker, you might need to add extra columns for labels in your database.

I agree with the response from @Rifad, to get the same label as you have in Appsheet, you would need to add your 'Accounts' table as another datasource. Then you can link the tables on the key reference within Looker directly.

Thanks for the replies. I am using separate datasources in Looker Studio and have separate tables in Appsheet, all with the "Account" field represented in each table using column type "ref". I want to be able to use "ref" to take advantage of inline data in my app, however, Looker is incorrectly pulling data from the source for all "ref" fields. As soon as I change the ref to a text field and use selects to get my data in Appsheet, everything is fine in the Looker datasource. Seems like a bug to me, but hoping someone can shed some more light on it. 

Can you post screenshots from Looker? In Appsheet you should leave your REF column as a REF column because I would assume that is the functionality you want within Appsheet. So once you pull your table into Looker, it will read that column as a 'text' column within Looker. Then you should also set up your other table as a datasource for Looker, and proceed to set up a 'blended' datasource that joins the two tables within Looker. This should be at the report level.

Hey team, I am starting to use Looker to Dashboards. 
Just wanted to check... this is free integration with Appsheet? Do you pay any extra? thanks
Sorry it is not completly asociated with the issue ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Top Labels in this Space