Lookup not working in doc template, but it does in a virtual column

Hi,

<<lookup([_THISROW].[Echipament];"X Tech options";"Serie Doc";"Echipament")>>

This formula works fine in a virtual column, but it doesn't in a gdoc template , inside a <<start ...>> Table. Everything else works fine in the template. "Can't find column Echipament" is the error shown in monitor. The two tables are nor referenced.

Can you please give me some tips please how to workaround this? I'd like to avoid the virtual columns and write them in the template ( which I already do for some if formulas that also don't work in template as I discovered).

Thank yoi

Solved Solved
1 6 142
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Conclusion and solution : 

1. In my two tabes used in the template lookup formula (which work fine in VC) , I had columns with the same name [echipament]. In case of some bug , I changed one of the names in [descriere echipament]. Still didn't work.

2. Then , I removed the [_thisrow] from the formula , against the instinct and against the https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/11541779?hl=en , and retested. And it works now.

Final formula for my case in the template is : <<lookup([Echipament];"X Tech options";"Serie Doc";"Descriere Echipament")>>

Formulas that did not work in template :

<<lookup([Echipament];"X Tech options";"Serie Doc";"Echipament")>>

Rookie conclusion , but with no clear explanation : for the templates , avoid lookup formulas that uses identical column names from templates, and avoid [_THISROW].[column] (just use [column]) , if there are no parents of the table.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

If it's inside of your Start: expression, maybe you need to use [_THISROW-1]. Difficult to say what else it could be as the table and column structure is not known.

Thanks. I'm reading about -1 now, but i don't think it's the reason, because the [equipment] i am looking for doesn't have a parent, it's just a text value. 

I've noticed along the time that some formulas doesn't work  in templates inside start-end , even if they do in VC's and in email bodies. My usual workaround is to ise VC, and pit the VC in the template, but it's resource consuming.

1000015412.png

โ€ƒ

1000015415.png

โ€ƒ

1000015416.png

โ€ƒ

The missing of <<>> are intended , to keep the template functional, until i figure it out

โ€ƒ

From which table are you triggering the Bot?

From a parent ("inregistraritech") of the "x tech fise digitale" table , column B in the photo being the ref column 

Conclusion and solution : 

1. In my two tabes used in the template lookup formula (which work fine in VC) , I had columns with the same name [echipament]. In case of some bug , I changed one of the names in [descriere echipament]. Still didn't work.

2. Then , I removed the [_thisrow] from the formula , against the instinct and against the https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/11541779?hl=en , and retested. And it works now.

Final formula for my case in the template is : <<lookup([Echipament];"X Tech options";"Serie Doc";"Descriere Echipament")>>

Formulas that did not work in template :

<<lookup([Echipament];"X Tech options";"Serie Doc";"Echipament")>>

Rookie conclusion , but with no clear explanation : for the templates , avoid lookup formulas that uses identical column names from templates, and avoid [_THISROW].[column] (just use [column]) , if there are no parents of the table.

Top Labels in this Space