Lookup value from parent form and populate in child form before form is saved

Hello! 

I have a parent form, which has a nested form and I would like to auto-populate information input from the parent form into the child form. 

Parent Table: CONCIERGE

• Column reference to return form: CLAIMS RETURN FORM
  • Column I would like to lookup: RETURN CARRIER

Child Table: RETURN FORM CLAIMS

• Column I would like to auto-populate: RETURN CARRIER
  • ID Column: ID RETURN FORM CLAIMS

Reference Table: RETURN COVERAGE

The flow: 

1. In the Concierge form, the agent can select a Zip Code from a reference table, Return Coverage
  2. The Carrier Return field pulls the coordinating carrier from the Return Coverage table. 
  3. Either Return Form or Return Form Claims will show based on which carrier was populated (which leads to the child form).
  4. In the Return Form Claims I would like to auto-populate the Return Carrier from the Return Carrier field in the first table (it does not need to be editable).

ellac_2-1676425973051.png

I've tried using lookup() but the field does not show on the child form when I input an app formula. 

Lookup("ID RETURN FORM CLAIMS", "CONCIERGE", "CLAIMS RETURN FORM", "CARRIER RETURN") 

Any suggestions?

0 7 373
7 REPLIES 7

Supposing the ref column in your child table is named [Concierge] and the [Return Carrier] in the parent table is the name of the column you populated before you opened the form then, you can get the value by [Concierge].[Return Carrier]

Hi @TeeSee1 thanks for your reply!

I'm getting an error when in input [Concierge].[Return Carrier] as the formula for RETURN CARRIER (in the child table RETURN FORM CLAIMS) 

ellac_0-1676497433194.png

In the child table the link to the parent table is: 

ellac_2-1676497955085.png

I noticed in my parent table that not all of my ref columns, have a virtual column w/ Ref_Rows. Not sure if that will cause an issue. 

ellac_1-1676497886202.png

You do not have REF_ROWS in a child table.

REF_ROWS are generated in a parent table.

It would help if you shared the definitions of both Concierge and RETURN FORM CLAIMS.

Hi @TeeSee1 

Sorry, the image was from the parent table Concierge. 

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what information you are looking for when with definitions, can you elaborate? 

What is the name of the ref col in the child table to table Concierge?

This is what was generated in the child table

ellac_0-1676508880495.png

This is on the parent table: 

ellac_1-1676509009182.png

Well now that you have shown me this, I see there has been a misunderstanding.

What you have indicates that CONCIERGE is the CHILD and RETURN FOMR CLAIMS is the parent. (See this VIDEO around 00:50)

So based on your original post, you are populating RETURN CARRIER in a child record (table CONCIERGE) and trying to pull this into its parent row. Since a parent row can have multiple child rows, you need to select one.  Assuming you use the first row you can use the following expression

INDEX(
 [Related CONCIERGEs][RETURN CARRIER],
)

Having said this, this configuration is not 'standard' and I suspect you may need to rethink how you design your App. 

Top Labels in this Space