MAXROW() Issue

Hi all,

This is my first question and probably not my last. I've trolled through other questions to find an answer and I've tried different things but still can't quite get this to work properly.

I have two tables, one with a list of skaters with various skills columns and levels associated with them. And the other table is a sign off table which records when a skater acquires a certain level of a certain skill.

MAXROW(Sign offs, Skating Posture,(Sign offs[Skaters]=[_THISROW].[Skater Name]))

I'm trying to get the skills column in the skater table to look up the max skill level number for a particular skater for a particular skill (skating posture in the above example). I'm getting the below error. Is there a work around for this or to I have something fundamentally set up wrong?

Cannot compare List with Name in (Sign offs[Skaters] = [_THISROW].[Skater Name])

It might be worth mentioning the sign offs skaters column is a ref to the skater name in skaters table.

Many thanks in advance

Solved Solved
0 1 106
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Based on understanding of your description, please try 

MAX(SELECT((Sign offs[Skating Posture], [Skaters]=[_THISROW].[Skater Name]))

MAX() - AppSheet Help

The expression assumes the [Skating Posture] is a number or decimal type column and [Skaters] is the reference column in the "Sign Offs" table.

Please note such multirow expressions typically consume substantial sync time especially when used on tables with 100s of or more records. 

Edit: please ignore the above.

You will have a reverse reference column called something like [Related Sign Offs] in the Skaters table.

Please add another VC with called say [Max Skating Posture] with an expression 

MAX([Related Sign Offs][ Skating Posture]) to get the maximum skating posture number for the skater. This approach will be less sync time expensive. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Based on understanding of your description, please try 

MAX(SELECT((Sign offs[Skating Posture], [Skaters]=[_THISROW].[Skater Name]))

MAX() - AppSheet Help

The expression assumes the [Skating Posture] is a number or decimal type column and [Skaters] is the reference column in the "Sign Offs" table.

Please note such multirow expressions typically consume substantial sync time especially when used on tables with 100s of or more records. 

Edit: please ignore the above.

You will have a reverse reference column called something like [Related Sign Offs] in the Skaters table.

Please add another VC with called say [Max Skating Posture] with an expression 

MAX([Related Sign Offs][ Skating Posture]) to get the maximum skating posture number for the skater. This approach will be less sync time expensive. 

Top Labels in this Space