Manufacturing App

Hi all 

Please note that this is a long question and pictures are provided.

I am trying to build a manufacturing app that allows for multiple bills of materials, that can calculate cost (with a labour cost included) and that creates uniqueID to be used at a lot number for each job. Additionally, this app needs to be able to create picking slips for staff to use for pulling stock. I have already developed this extremely complex system with google sheets and I am struggling to translate it into Appsheet.

Here is how the Google Sheet versions works:

• The sheet itself has the ability to do an API call to our accounting package that is also our inventory management system.Api call for invetoryApi call for invetory
  • Each bill of materials has its own sheet. Each one of these sheets is referenced in a "Database" sheet and also has the unique html link to it and a separate column with that items unique code from our accounting package. The reason for the unique code from our accounting package is that sometimes we will name a BOM one way but it gets linked to a product with a difference description.Database of BOMDatabase of BOM

Now here is where it really gets complicated

• I have a sheet called "Costings" that includes a data validation from the "database" sheet
  • This then cross references the API of our stock and filters the new costs (if any have changed)Costing sheetCosting sheet
  • Once it has updated the costs within the sheet, we move onto a "Picking slip" sheet. This sheet cross references available stock per item, checks the unique code from our accounting package, allows to enter a quantity for the item and then recalculates the stock needed for the entire order. There is a now() cell that updates when we print the picking slip which doubles up as the lot number for the item. We print labels with this lot number and also add to invoices.Picking slipPicking slip

THEN!

• In order to to update the stocks in the accounting package, I have a sheet that calculates the positive amounts and of course the negative amounts which is then downloaded as a CSV and is then uploaded into the accounting package with the lot number as the reference. CSV to uplodeCSV to uplode

Okay - let's take a breath! 

I have already begun developing in Appsheet but the complexity of what I created in Google Sheets is proving a real challenge. 

ANY ADVISE will be appreciated!

0 4 774
4 REPLIES 4

Welcome to the community!

It is not hard to achieve what you have crafted with AppSheet, yet naturally you'd have to make some adaptations. 

• You should feed your data to AppSheet as raw tables and establish relevant table references and relationships in AppSheet, not in the sheet.
  • You'll be better served removing all sheet formulas and using equivalent App formulas instead. 
  • API queries can be maintained in the sheet, there might not be an added value of implementing them in AppSheet instead. You just have to make sure the relevant cells get updated only by the API not also by AppSheet. 
  • Reports like Picking Slip and Costing will have to be created in AppSheet as PDF or templates for example. You can still maintain these sheets but you cannot import them in, read from or write to them from within AppSheet. All your sheets have to be pure tables with consistent headers and rows. 

If not done already, you can start by reading the guides below, and if you get stuck at any point during you'll be able to always find help asking the community. The more your questions are specific the more you'll get more helpful answers. 

All the best!

_________

Data: The Essentials | AppSheet Help Center 

Five Tips for Building Better Spreadsheets for Your AppSheet Mobile Apps 

Hi Joseph

Thank you for your reply.

I did skim through the "essentials" originally but it was worth going through again. I have relooked at a few of my initial AppSheet designs and also relooked at the way my info was collected in my sheets (basically I renamed a lot of headers). 

I will let you know how I go! I'm sure more questions will follow soon. 

Hi @Lanos23 

How is this going? I would like to do the same thing. I am using manufacturing software and think an in-house solution may be best. 

Do as @Joseph_Seddik recommend.

Top Labels in this Space