Method to filter Related Records

Hello community. Every time a child table is generated, a column that is [related child] is automatically created in the parent table.

However, sometimes it is necessary to apply a filter to that list, since you don't always want to get all that list. The most rustic way (so to speak) is to do a filter or a select from the child table;

FILTER("ChildTable",AND(

IN([RowID],ParentTable[Related Child]),

[Column1]=Condition)

)

However, I would like to know if there is a faster and more practical way to obtain this data, only using the virtual column in the parent table

I appreciate your answers

Solved Solved
0 9 903
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

This:

SELECT(
  [Related Childs][key-column],
  [Column1] = Condition
)

Replace key-column with the name of the key column of the child table.

View solution in original post

I was just about to also comment on this.

If you want to preserve the [related] column as is (suggested), filter again using @Steve's expression, which is quite efficient because the Select() only checks the already filtered rows (the related ones)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

This:

SELECT(
  [Related Childs][key-column],
  [Column1] = Condition
)

Replace key-column with the name of the key column of the child table.

I was just about to also comment on this.

If you want to preserve the [related] column as is (suggested), filter again using @Steve's expression, which is quite efficient because the Select() only checks the already filtered rows (the related ones)

Excelente Oscar, si usarรฉ la expresiรณn que me dices de Steve, porque es justamente eso lo que quiero, reciclar las filas ya filtradas.

Thanks as always @Steve !

If I wanted a different field from the related object, how would I do that? For instance, in my below example I'm doing a select on a related object to show a list of product names this client is enrolled in. However, calculating this virtual column takes 15 seconds, where as stepping through a relationship only takes .5 seconds. Am I just not doing this correctly?

SELECT(allenrollments[Productname], 
               AND(
                   [_THISROW].[SF Account ID] = [SalesForceId], 
                   [Productstatus] = "Pending Activation",
                   [ProgramClean] = "Web",
                   NOT([EnrollmentStatus]="Complete")
                   )
      )

My goal would be to use the relationship of table 2 and allEnrollments (the key of both tables is [productId]

and get back a list of [productname] 

I think this might work:

SELECT([Related Enrollments][Productname], 
AND(
[_THISROW].[SF Account ID] = [SalesForceId], 
[Productstatus] = "Pending Activation",
[ProgramClean] = "Web",
NOT([EnrollmentStatus]="Complete")
)
)

I can't seem to use the reference fields to step through the tables correctly when they're encased in a SELECT, or FILTER statement. The app just tells me the column name is missing.

Can you post a screenshot?

Well, you can completely replace a REF_ROWS() expression with a FILTER() or SELECT() so that you use that instead.
But I'm not sure exactly how adding extra row-filter expressions will affect the new rows added via the Add button in the Inline view, I don't recall that since related rows are that, all of the rows related to the current one

Top Labels in this Space