Mixing bulk editing methods with Apsheet API

Hello there,

I have an app that relies on bulk editing since it needs to apply changes to specific columns, across multiple rows, simultaneously.

I currently make use of the action button "Data: set the values of some columns in this row" combined with the INPUT() function, that´s set across all of the table´s columns. This way, when I select the rows that I want to edit, it opens up a form that allows me to change specific column values, across all select rows.

Despite this is actually working, it gets super slow when editing +30/40 rows, since it has to run one sync for each column that I change, which makes bulk editing with large datasets quite impractical.

That´s the reason why I started to look forward to make that bulk editing through the API, but I haven´t been succesful, at least for now. I wonder if I could get any help on how to either combine the method firstly described, with an API request, or if I should go for a full restructuring of how changes are made, and working only with the API.

Since I got here because the "low-coding" or "no-coding" was fitting my needs in the first place, now that these challenges come across, I kind of need help to solve more complex stuff...

Thanks for reading it, and all help is appreciated. 

Solved Solved
0 4 145
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately, I don't think the INPUT() function can be used in a way to where, it pops-up for input, enter values once and then apply them to several selected rows.  

You can build this.  Create a Form specifically to capture the values you want to apply, maybe in its own little table.  Then use the Editable Table view to allow for selection of the rows by marking them to be updated.  Then use a bot for each flagged row to receive the updated values.

If you can automatically choose the rows to be updated, then you can skip the Editable Table part and go right into an action that applies the updates to expression selected rows.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

It's not quite clear what your needs are. 

• Do you need the user to input an update ONCE and then apply it to the 30/40+ rows?
  • Or do you need the user to input a separate update value for EACH row being edited?

First one, I believe. Thanks for the clarification.

Currently, it works this way: Imagine I have 10 rows, from which I want to edit the value of just one of their columns, simultaneously. For this, I select those records with bulk selected, and then I have this button set up , just like mentioned before:

@thematgallery wrote:

I currently make use of the action button "Data: set the values of some columns in this row" combined with the INPUT() function, that´s set across all of the table´s columns. This way, when I select the rows that I want to edit, it opens up a form that allows me to change specific column values, across all select rows.

As soon as I change one of the values on the form that this button opens up, it sends the number of syncs equivalent to the number of rows I´ve previously selected. This means it gets hard to even modify several columns in a short period of time, since it gets super slow. I will try to make a sample app, so you can see it more clearly, but I hope the explanation comes out well.

Thanks for reading, again.

Unfortunately, I don't think the INPUT() function can be used in a way to where, it pops-up for input, enter values once and then apply them to several selected rows.  

You can build this.  Create a Form specifically to capture the values you want to apply, maybe in its own little table.  Then use the Editable Table view to allow for selection of the rows by marking them to be updated.  Then use a bot for each flagged row to receive the updated values.

If you can automatically choose the rows to be updated, then you can skip the Editable Table part and go right into an action that applies the updates to expression selected rows.

Thanks for the answer! I was expecting the INPUT() not to work on this situation.

About this build that you´re suggesting. I´ve created the tables and views, but I don´t get how am I supposed to connect them? Can I identify selected rows through a formula? I have looked for other posts for reference such as: https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Expression-to-determine-whether-rows-are-select... , but fairly enough, I haven´t quite used this kind of setup since I started. If I could ask for a bit more detail on how to do it...
Meanwhile I will keep on trying diferent stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Top Labels in this Space