Move to MySQL

Hi all. I wanted to check with you, since I'm just starting out with Appsheet.

When I launch an App and it is in google sheets, as far as I know, it will work quite well, however, over time, the synchronization time could decrease. There is an Appsheet option but for paid versions (I haven't paid for my app yet) that allows you to create a database in MySQL. The question is:

Will it be possible, in the future, to migrate the data from google sheet to MySQL? Is this convenient and feasible?

Thank you in advance

Solved Solved
1 7 234
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Yes, it can be achieved easily through export/import CSV features.  Keep the sheet clean, do not use formulas and follow db standards.

However, you should be able to sheets well into the tens of thousands or rows by following good practices

1) Keep sheets trimmed

2) Archive old data

3) Use Security filters to keep user loaded data small

4)  Use Virtual Columns only as needed (this is the biggest culprit to slow Sync times).

View solution in original post

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Also @Gustavo_Eduardo 

SQL is available on Enterprise which requires a minimum of USD400/month equals to 20 licences/users at USD20 each

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yes, it can be achieved easily through export/import CSV features.  Keep the sheet clean, do not use formulas and follow db standards.

However, you should be able to sheets well into the tens of thousands or rows by following good practices

1) Keep sheets trimmed

2) Archive old data

3) Use Security filters to keep user loaded data small

4)  Use Virtual Columns only as needed (this is the biggest culprit to slow Sync times).

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Also @Gustavo_Eduardo 

SQL is available on Enterprise which requires a minimum of USD400/month equals to 20 licences/users at USD20 each

@SkrOYC wrote:

Also @Gustavo_Eduardo 

This is good info.  I knew about the $20/per user per month but didn't know about the minimum of 20 licenses.

So what does one do if they wish to use a DB but only have 10 users?

Pay the USD400

Ah, of course!  Didn't think it through.  I guess if there were that few users, it probably is not that big anyway and would make sense to keep it on sheets.

Also since the pricing of AppSheet is not per app and instead per user, you don't need a big client to justify the USD400/month.

And if you don't need all of your users to be able to trigger email events, we can even have more users if we use prototype apps with the same database (although I know there are some things to consider with this scenario) since prototype apps can use SQL.

I plan to migrate to a SQL database (and to code instead of no-code after that) in the future if I get closer to the 16~ users range

Top Labels in this Space