Multi Day Calendar Event

Hello. I have created an app for project management.

Many of our projects span over multiple days. When I make an event that takes more than 1 day, it shows at the top of the day. I need to see it in blocks. (for instance, if the work is scheduled for 3 days from 8-5, I need blocks on those three days between those times.)

I know I can just make separate events for those days, but the events trigger certain things upon completion in our CRM and it is messing it up having multiple inquiries trigging the CRM multiple different times.

For example, when the field tech triggers the work for the day is completed, it sets the status of the job to "Complete". If he does this on day 1, it prematurely notifies the project manager that the work is done.

I'm not sure if duration is what I need or what.

Please help!

1 5 1,131
5 REPLIES 5

I have an idea that may or may not work for your case.

You can create sub-events for each of your events with daily begin - end times (three sub events for an event that spans over three days) to be displayed on the calendar. Your field tech can update these sub-events and your CRM can look at the 'parent' event which has a status column based on the statuses of all the related sub-events.

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying, but I'm a tiny bit lost as well. Would this be virtual columns?

Along the same lines as @TeeSee1 is suggesting... It might helpful to think of the events as related but different.  For example, there is a Project Schedule vs a Work schedule. 

The Project could be scheduled for several continuous days and reflects that in the event.

The Work Schedule under that project is then divided into the discrete segments of work over those several days.  Completing one of these events completes only that segment of work.  

With a little design planning, you can create a table to save all of the events, Projects and Work, so they can be shown on a single Calendar.  OR you can use Slices/filtering, to divy up the events in whichever way makes sense. 

No, they are child records to 'parent' events.

You managed the event's completion status at the parent level while daily completion status can be managed at the child level.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I don't have any practical experience with AppSheet's Google Calendar features, so I can only speculate. My expectation would be that you would have to create individual events on each of the consecutive days. I doubt there's a way to say, "create a 3-day event and show it as 3 separate events across the 3 days."

Top Labels in this Space