Multi-search form using 2 drop down list

Hello, I have a multi-search form that uses 2 dropdown lists. Once, the items have been chosen from the list I want a trigger that checks for the chosen items from my table. 

The columns from the select are 2 fields of type REF. 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 29 496
29 REPLIES 29

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @MRiley 

This is a common question that have been answered.

You may want to look for dependent drop-down expression in the search bar.

You may also want to look for it here in order to understand the mechanism:

https://help.appsheet.com/en/?q=dependent+drop+down

Hi thanks for the quick response. However, I am able to create the dropdowns which is not my issue. My issue is after the selections have been made, I want the results of the selections to show in a row below the selected choices. This is the method used in the template Multi-Search Demo. However, while that template uses 2 date fields, a status and a text name field, I am using 2 dropdown lists only. My hope is to bring back a list of records which have been chosen from the dropdown list items.

Which template are you talking about ? Can you provide the url link ?

Is this this one?

https://www.appsheet.com/templates/How-to-search-with-a-Slice--Dashboard?appGuidString=7e3e1bed-6576...

I'm afraid I'm having a language barrier issue at the moment, could you provide a screenshot of what you currently have and of what you would like to get ?

Sure no problem.

Here is the url for the template:

I have attempted to send a screenshot in this email however,  email gets rejected because it doesn't seem to want to accept it.

Here I use 2 dropdown lists which is working fine.

Once I choose the parameters, I want to see a list of all of the records that are chosen based on the parameters.

Melvin

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

"App not found" with the url you provided. 

Is it an AppSheet sample app  ?

You can copy-paste screenshot directly from the community, you may want to try it this way.

It is one of the provided samples from the templates. It seems everytime I
paste a screenshot, the email seems to reject it.

[image: image.png]

Hopefully, you'll get this one.
--
*Melvin Riley, DBA*
*IAD Data Management*
*National Archives*
*Washington D.C. *
*O: 301-837-0715*

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

I sent 2 screenshots with samples from the template and the one from my
revision of it.

Please let me know if received them.

Thanks alot

--
*Melvin Riley, DBA*
*IAD Data Management*
*National Archives*
*Washington D.C. *
*O: 301-837-0715*

Ok here is the screenshot from the demo app that I'm using:

MRiley_0-1648046997760.png

Except I am using 2 dropdown lists. I want to be able to use the value chosen to look at the referenced detials.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

That's a FILTER() expression.

Type List, base type Ref, sourcetable: your Children table.

What about that in the expression of your virtual column ?

FILTER("ChildrenTable",
  AND(
    [YourColumn1InChildrenTable]=[_THISROW].[YourColumn1InCurrentTable],
    [YourColumn2InChildrenTable]=[_THISROW].[YourColumn2InCurrentTable]
  )
)

Upon trying the solution, I am now getting this error:

Column 'Results' in Table 'Search2_Schema' of Column Type 'Ref' has an invalid expression in the Formula field.'=FILTER("Test_Prog_Lst", AND( [File_Series]=[_THISROW].[Series_File_numb], [File_No]=[_THISROW].[Series_Item_numb] ) )'. Cannot compare List with Ref in ([File_Series] = [_THISROW].[Series_File_Numb])

Hi @MRiley 

This is explicit: "Cannot compare List with Ref in ([File_Series] = [_THISROW].[Series_File_Numb])"

That means one of your columns is a list, and you are comparing a list and a single item.

You need to test if the single item is included in the list.

I don't know which one is which one, here are my suggestions:

FILTER("Test_Prog_Lst", 
  AND( 
   IN([File_Series],[_THISROW].[Series_File_numb]), 
   [File_No]=[_THISROW].[Series_Item_numb]
  ) 
)

or

FILTER("Test_Prog_Lst", 
  AND( 
   IN([_THISROW].[Series_File_numb],[File_Series]), 
   [File_No]=[_THISROW].[Series_Item_numb]
  ) 
)

For reference:

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/2357277-in

I tried that solution and received this error:

Column 'Results' in Table 'Search2_Schema' of Column Type 'Ref' has an invalid expression in the Formula field.'=FILTER("Test_Prog_Lst", AND( IN([File_Series],[_THISROW].[Series_File_numb]), [File_No]=[_THISROW].[Series_Item_numb] ) ) or FILTER("Test_Prog_Lst", AND( IN([_THISROW].[Series_File_numb],[File_Series]), [File_No]=[_THISROW].[Series_Item_numb] ) )'. Parameter 2 of function IN is of the wrong type

So I guess it seems that I am having issues assigning the proper type to the 2 fields that I am searching on.

No, when I copy paste each one individually,  and test them, I am getting the same exact error.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Did you just copy-pasted the whole suggestion ? 🤣

It's the first part OR the second part.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Did you have a look to the IN() documentation link I provided ? 

You may want to have a look to the type of the parameters you have in your table, and see if it matches.

If you still don't succeed, can you please provide:

- screenshot of your table structure (columns, from the app editor)

- screenshot of the expression you use and message error you are getting with

MRiley_0-1648127562215.pngMRiley_1-1648127614241.pngMRiley_2-1648127656899.pngMRiley_3-1648127743044.pngMRiley_4-1648127763799.pngMRiley_5-1648127806759.pngMRiley_6-1648127829081.png

Ok those are the columns for the tables and one of the filter statements that you suggested. 

I hope that it's not too confusing.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Your initial expression was correct.

FILTER("Test_Prog_Lst", 
  AND( 
    [_THISROW].[Series_File_numb]=[File_Series], 
    [_THISROW].[Series_Item_numb]=[File_No]
  ) 
)

However, the [Result] column should be a List of Ref, with source table: Test_Prog_Lst

Ok I moved the results field from the Series_Disp_List table to the Test_Pro_Lst  table. I created the Result field in the Test_Prog_Lst table as well using this code:

MRiley_0-1648132161667.png

But it's also giving me an error 

Sorry I misunderstood your directions. I kept the Results field in the Search2 data and used the Test_Prog_Lst table with the formula that you suggested. I am not getting an error anymore but the data isn't pulling in.

Ok I had to change the File_Series and File_No from text to enumlist and now I'm getting an error

Here is the latest error:

MRiley_1-1648134054664.png

Here is a bigger view of the error:

MRiley_2-1648134162628.png

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Change your column type: this is NOT a Ref, this is a List of Ref.

I said it 2 times yet, please make it.

Aurelien_0-1648134547361.png

Aurelien_1-1648134654522.png

Thank you for the clarification.

I was unfamiliar with List of Ref until you sent the picture. I have changed it and now the formula is no longer complaining.

Now the search fields are complaining about the type when I make them List, Text or Ref.....What should the type be for them and in which table(s)>

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

screenshot please 🙂

Sure sorry about that:

MRiley_0-1648153342634.png

MRiley_1-1648153388486.pngMRiley_2-1648153417152.png

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @MRiley 

This will be my last contribution to this thread.

Please find below my suggestion according to your last screenshot.

Please note I probably made a confusion about your various table: I just noticed you are currently dealing with 3 tables (Search2, Test_Prog_List, Series_Disp_List), I didn't get that before, it's my mistake.

If you are expecting to have in the column "result" a list of elements from two different tables, that won't happen.

Basically, please have in mind that you need to keep things simple :

- table1 with items to be filtered

- table2 with criteria for filtering purpose ==> column "Result" that will show items from table1, with a FILTER() expression

Table Search2

1) Column "Series_File_Numb"

==> type Text

OR

==> Type Enum

==> Data validation/valid if ==> expression: Test_Prog_Lst[File_Series]

2) Column "Series_Item_Numb"

==> type Text

OR

==> Type Enum

==> Data validation/valid if ==> expression: Test_Prog_Lst[File_No]

3) Column "Result" looks fine.

Reminder of what it is supposed to be:

==> Type List

==>Base type Ref

==> datasource table: Test_Prog_List

Table Test_Prog_List

The columns that will be taken into account for filtering purpose should match the types of the filtering columns in your table Search2.

Thank you for all of your continued help and you patience. 

I will work with your suggestions but please keep in mind that I am using the exact number of tables from the Mult-Search example used from the templates. In this example, they are using 3 tables. I thought I made that clear when we first began. If not, it's my mistake.  This example does use 3 tables however, it doesn't use drop down lists which I am. That is the only difference in my real world example and the template. If I have any further questions, I will start a new thread and hopefully find another tech that will help. I do again appreciate your time and attention to what you have helped me with. 

Top Labels in this Space