Multiple condition filter dashboard

Hello all,

I have tried, repeatedly, to put in place a multiple condition based on a filter table.  I got it to work for like an hour or two, then all of a sudden it didn't work any more.  I have reviewed and tried all of the examples I can find in this community, but none of them seem to work for me.

I have a junction table from which I am attempting to pull rows to match the filter.  Not all of the desired columns are in the junction table; I am attempting to use dereferences to link down to the values in the referenced tables.

I constructed a filter table and a filter editing view.  It works perfectly.  However, when the slice filter runs against that filter table, it returns no data.  I am sure the issue has to do with something small, but I simply cannot find it.

The expression below (Row Filter for Slice) is the only one that ever worked to pull the correct data...but then a few hours later it wouldn't pull the data any more.  I don't think I changed anything in the table that would affect this and I KNOW for certain I didn't change anything in the slice or the view that displays the slice.  I am at a complete loss.

ISNOTBLANK(
FILTER("tbl_filter",
AND(IN([_THISROW].[Role].[Role],Split(tbl_filter[Role],",")),
IN([_THISROW].[Item].[Assigned].[Assigned],Split(tbl_filter[Assigned],",")),
IN([_THISROW].[Item].[Type].[Type],Split(tbl_filter[Type],",")))))

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 4 123
4 REPLIES 4

The basic template for such a Slice expression should be:

AND(
  OR(
    ISBLANK( {filter field 1} ) ,
    {field 1} = {filter field 1}
  ) ,
  OR(
    ISBLANK( {filter field 2} ) ,
    {field 2} = {filter field 2}
  ) ,
)

Thanks Marc,

When I put in this:

AND(
OR(
ISBLANK( {[Role].[Role]} ) ,
{tbl_filter[Role]} = {[Role].[Role]}
) ,
OR(
ISBLANK( {[Item].[Assigned].[Assigned]} ) ,
{tbl_filter[Assigned]} = {[Item].[Assigned].[Assigned]}
) ,
OR(
ISBLANK( {[Item].[Type].[Type]} ) ,
{tbl_filter[Type]} = {[Item].[Type].[Type]}
)
)

it still doesn't work.  I tried reversing the items in the second half of the OR statement,  still doesn't work.  Here's the funny thing: when I input the expression and click "Test", it returns essentially the entire parent table without any filter.  But if I then Save and hit Preview Data on the slice, it shows NOTHING, just the headers.  I have to believe it's something to do with the referenced columns.  The references are correct, going all the way down to the actual Text field (as opposed to stopping at the reference which would only return a list).

You mixed up "fieldx" and "filter field x", switch those around. Also, get rid of the curly braces, that was just my notation for indicating something for you to fill in. And you'll probably need to use IN() instead of =, or use ANY().

Hi Marc, 

Thanks for the clarification - I am indeed a newbie.

So when I look at the information in the Test Data (I realize now the little blue button on the left allows me to see the evaluation of each row...duh!), I can see the expression is pulling all the appropriate fields and values.  So that's a victory.  However, somehow when it compares identical values it evaluates false but only for the last two (dereferenced) OR statements.  For the first statement, it compares accurately.

Top Labels in this Space