Mutiple selection in a DropDown Ref Column is possible?

I have a ref column โ€œSurnameโ€ but when I add records to this table, i would like to addding multiple records, selecting multiple โ€œSurnameโ€ in the ref column โ€œSurnameโ€, Is this possible?

0 17 905
17 REPLIES 17

Hi @Alejandro_Difino! You can absolutely select multiple items in the ref column. You can learn more about this by reviewing this documentation.

Hi Jennifer,Thanks! but the problem is that the selected option are recorded in the same record.
I need a multiple selection and record this selection in multiple records!Am I clear?
I am selecting players who assisted to a training and i need to record one record for each player selected! (I have a table for assistance and a table of players)
is this posible?

Many thanks

It is possible but it is not trivial.

Could you give some help? I have some idea of programming. Not much but i can try!

I think you need a many to many relationship, right? I havenโ€™t found an way to do that without a middle table.

You have a player table and trainning table, but you also need a third Records table with player_ref and training_ref collumns.

Not exactlyโ€ฆ
I have a โ€œPlayersโ€ table and a โ€œAssistance Trainingโ€ Table , in which I record Date, PlayerName (ref). But when a use a Enumlist (Ref) in the column PlayerName the system record just one record and in the column PlayerName the list of pleyers Selected. I need one record by player selected.

Am I clear ?

Sorry about my poor english!

If you only want 1 to be selectable, you need to switch from EnumList to just Enum.

No my friend. I need multi-selection, and record multi-records (one record by player selected en the multi-selection enumlist (ref)

Ok, so ideally if PlayerName is an EnumList (Ref), then it should be pointing to the Players table. In the Players table, I assume you have a column containing PlayerNames or something similar. So on PlayerName set the Valid_If to Players[PlayerName] substituting PlayerName for whatever your columnโ€™s name is.

I agree with @Steve but I think there is one big question to understand.
Do you want to include other information about HOW and WHEN the Player assisted in the training?

For example, you mentioned Date. Could this Date be different for the Players - some assisting on Date A while others assisting on Date B.

I could also envision tracking Hours Assisted, Tasks Assisted with, etc.

If you need or want variant data (e.g. different Assisted Dates) or the flexibility to add additional data attributes in the future, this helps eliminate some of the more simplistic approaches.

Answer below in RED

2X_c_caa317f415bff59ae8cb781f18089fd27b9ada9f.jpeg
WillowMobileSystems

[John Baer](https://community.appsheet.com/u/willowmobilesystems)

October 30

I agree with @Steve but I think there is one big question to understand.

Do you want to include other information about HOW and WHEN the Player assisted in the training?

NO. If you see the example I selected the data first for the multiselected playersโ€ฆ But I need to record, ONE RECORD FOR EACH PLAYER SELECTED WITH THE SAME DATE!. Currently the APP record ONE record with the LIST OF PLAYER SELECTED

My suggestion is to create an action that creates a new row using values from the current row; attach that action to the table with the Surname column; present a custom view of that table to the user that displays only the Surname column; have the user multi-select the desired rows by Surname; have the user choose the action that then creates one new row for each selected row. Bam! Done!

Alternatively, use the EnumList column to gather the row references, then attach an action to the form that passes the collected list to an action that creates one row per EnumList item.

Whatever approach you take will involve actions, which arenโ€™t trivial.

GOD NEWS! BAD NEWS!

I wll try! thanks anyway!

Ok, OK!! I just want to be sure you are getting the best answer.

I think your problem would be easier to solve without the use of a drop-down menu. Can you explain how you envision the user getting to you drop-down menu? Knowing that may suggest another alternative.

Hi,

What you really want do, is actually to duplicate the record for all the players you selected right ?

Making in one record for all the player and adding a row in your sheet for each players ?

Top Labels in this Space