My app is for farm workers. It gives them a d...

My app is for farm workers. It gives them a daily To-Do list and several columns with which to collect data.

The first column is the date, second is the day of the week, then the To-Do list.

What expression do I use to highlight the date? Every morning when the workers open the app, I want that day’s date to be a different color.

Thanks for the help.

0 5 593
5 REPLIES 5

Harry2

@Conrad_Fink Hi Conrad, you might want to use a format rule to highlight the date. Since you want to use different colors for different dates, you will need to use multiple format rules, one for each color. Also, in the format rules’ conditions, you will most likely have to check the date to determine which format rule will be activated for that date. You can read more about format rules here:

help.appsheet.com - Format Rules: The Essentials Format Rules: The Essentials help.appsheet.com

@Harry

Hi Dinh, Thanks for your reply. It’s still not working for me. I’ve attached a couple screen grabs to show my set up. The TYPE for the column ‘2018’ is ‘Date’

The Format Rule seems to require a ‘Yes/No’ before it will accept any other formula.

Harry2

@Conrad_Fink Hi Conrad, the setting “If this condition is true” is a true/false check to determine whether or not the format rule will be applied. In your case, this condition is derived from the date of the row. For example, if you only want to highlight the row on Sundays, you can use this expression:

WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 1

The expression WEEKDAY() returns a number that represents a day of the week of a particular date. Days are counted from Sunday, so Sunday will be 1.

Depending on the logic that you want to implement, you will need to modify the condition expression accordingly. It’s important to note that the expression must be valid and must return a yes/no, or true/false result. In the screenshot, your expression “true=TODAY()” is invalid because you cannot compare the value “true” to a date.

@Harry

All I want to have happen is when someone opens the app that day is highlighted. I DON’T want to highlight only Sundays or have to tell it which day of the week it is by a 1 or 2 or 3. I want the app to know what date it is and highlight that date by having the text change color or a bullet point appears. The next day, the app would highlight the next day. This can’t be an unusual request.

Harry2

@Conrad_Fink Hi Conrad, the expression to highlight on Sundays was only an example that I used to illustrate how the format rule condition should be used.

If you want to only highlight rows that belong to the current date, I assume that there must be a date column in the row, which stores the row’s date. Using this column, the expression should be something like this:

[Date] = TODAY()

Here’s how logic of the expression above: the TODAY() expression computes the current date. If the current date is equal to the date stored in the column [Date], then the condition is met, and the format rule will be activated. Please note that you may need to modify the name of the date column based on what its actual name is in your app.

Top Labels in this Space