My app is like a works rota/diary. One sheet ...

My app is like a works rota/diary. One sheet in my workbook contains all the different shifts (sheet 1) at my place of employment. When I add a new entry, this is saved to a second worksheet (sheet 2) in the workbook.

I want to add another user to the app (with a login if possible) where when he/she adds his/her own work shifts theyโ€™ll be saved to a seperate worksheet (sheet 3) than the one Iโ€™m using for my shifts.

All data will be read from the same sheet 1.

Can some offer any guidance to how Iโ€™d do this please?

0 6 492
6 REPLIES 6

Better to save it all to a single worksheet, adding a column that identifies who a particular row is for, then use a security filter to ensure each user only has access to their own entries.

Alternatively, copy the app for each user and setup each copy with its own sheet 2.

+Steve Coile I canโ€™t do the first suggestion because of the way the data is displayed.

Ideally Iโ€™d like it all in one app so is there no 3rd option?

@Simon_Blackburn Not that i can see.

+Steve Coile Looking again at your first suggestion.

If I add another column as you say. When either user is creating an entry, they could select from an enum/dropdown which user the entry is for then this would go into this new column.

How would I apply a security filter so user 2 doesnโ€™t see work shifts attributed to myself?

@Simon_Blackburn The user neednโ€™t identify themselves if theyโ€™re logged in and the app knows their email address. If so, you can auto-fill this new column with the userโ€™s email address by setting the Initial value for the column to =useremail().

@Simon_Blackburn You could then create a security filter in this table (table 2) that selects only rows with the current app userโ€™s email address. Assuming the new column is [email], the security filter formula might be: in([email], list(useremail()))

Top Labels in this Space