MySQL question

umu
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Hi, I'm new to AppSheet!

I was wondering if there are any specific way I should be setting up my MySQL for AppSheet, I've been surfing through YouTube and google, but they only show me how to connect the two, and not on how I should be setting up my SQL.

Thanks in advance!

Solved Solved
0 7 269
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your method should work, but it is worth testing the exising appsheet feature, to dump data to other source.

For each table, you export data to SQL. You need to copy data to other data source one by one table, which is little bit troublesome though.

Another possible way to change the source to SQL is you clone your app and save data to SQL. This method is sometime not workable, due to unexpected SQL errors or timeout if your data set is large.

All in all, just copy data to SQL for all the tables you have inside your app. During this jobs, you may find and see the errors, unable to copy some table. Then you examine to find the root cause to troubleshoot. This should be most reliable and safe way to change the source to SQL. Good luck.

2022-04-06_11-45-16.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Just in case not, you may want to browse the help article below.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/962066-using-data-from-mysql#working-with-special-characters

The article below is of course just for connecting to MYSQL database hosted on Google.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/3627169-create-a-mysql-database-hosted-in-google-cloud

The below is for copying an existing app to an SQL DB

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1528034-copying-an-existing-app-to-a-sql-database

thank you for your fast reply.

I have already read those, I've been working on AppSheet with Spreadsheets, but now for real life use cases, I would like to use MySQL for some Tables.

I guess, it's better if I just watch one of those YouTube how-to's on MySQL but they kinda go past quickly past on setting up Tables, and how to use SELECTS and others inside of MySQL, which I'm thinking isn't the techniques that I need to learn in order to use MySQL with AppSheet.

Except for the advanced use cases, probably you wont need to learn select statement for SQL as it is often only used to create SQL views out of the sql tables.  

AppSheet security filter and SQL view is basically equivalent. You do not need to generate sql view on data base side, as you can do the same things in appsheet editor.

Thank you, does this mean the easiest way for me to start using AppSheet with MySQL as my datasource is;

to create data via Spreadsheet, export it as CSV and import it into MySQL and not configure anything on the MySQL side and just do everything on AppSheet?

Your method should work, but it is worth testing the exising appsheet feature, to dump data to other source.

For each table, you export data to SQL. You need to copy data to other data source one by one table, which is little bit troublesome though.

Another possible way to change the source to SQL is you clone your app and save data to SQL. This method is sometime not workable, due to unexpected SQL errors or timeout if your data set is large.

All in all, just copy data to SQL for all the tables you have inside your app. During this jobs, you may find and see the errors, unable to copy some table. Then you examine to find the root cause to troubleshoot. This should be most reliable and safe way to change the source to SQL. Good luck.

2022-04-06_11-45-16.jpg

Thank you for your detailed response!

Still, I think there's too little explanation from AppSheet, on the hows and don't when using a SQLs

Escalated.

Top Labels in this Space