MySQL

umu
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

I see many advanced AppSheet users here, use Spreadsheets only.

I'm working on making an ERP app which most of the data are, as AppSheet Help Center puts it "Not Partitionable".

We do not need large data sets to be accessible in the mobile app, but non the less in our PC we do. "Large sets of data" is very obscure but our data sets are not as large as a some "Enterprise" businesses but we do need it to be accessible with a fast sync time. So instead of partition, my next option would be to use Security Filters and User Settings.

I've read that "When reading data from a spreadsheet source, the entire spreadsheet is retrieved from the cloud backend before the security filter is applied."  Although it might reduce the time sending data to the app, when I want to go back and forth a certain set of rows, it'll take time.

This is the reason why I'm looking into putting some tables in MySQL, so I can use the Security Filter at it's true potential for end users to have a better experience.

But there are not a lot on how to actually configure stuff on MySQL for AppSheet, like what MySQL datatypes = to AppSheets datatypes, and lots more.

Are there any cons to using MySQL than Spreadsheets and why do many advanced AppSheet users stick to Spreadsheets??

Solved Solved
1 8 390
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @umu 

In my humble opinion about "why do many advanced AppSheet users stick to Spreadsheets??", I would say it comes to pricing, mainly.

Using spreadsheets is ok with plans from Starter to Core, which costs 5 to 10$/user/month.

Using any other database goes with plans starting with Enterprise, which means at least around 20$/user/month. That calms down ๐Ÿ˜‚

Please see features list and plans here:

https://about.appsheet.com/pricing/

If your pricing plans is already Enterprise Standard or Enterprise Plus, of course you will definitely need to use another cloud storage, at least for performance reasons.

View solution in original post

"In my humble opinion about "why do many advanced AppSheet users stick to Spreadsheets??", I would say it comes to pricing, mainly."

100%

The extra cost of the enterprise plan, plus cloud hosting costs, is quite a large increase in monthly cost.

Using cloud databases is far superior in terms of performance. Hands down.

"But there are not a lot on how to actually configure stuff on MySQL for AppSheet, like what MySQL datatypes = to AppSheets datatypes, and lots more."

If you take the time to learn the SQL data types, and do a little experimentation, it should be fairly straight-forward. I don't believe I've ever used anything besides: VARCHAR,TEXT,INT,DECIMAL,DATE,TIME,DATETIME/TIMESTAMP

You'll have to be more specific about the "lots more" that you are referring to.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @umu 

In my humble opinion about "why do many advanced AppSheet users stick to Spreadsheets??", I would say it comes to pricing, mainly.

Using spreadsheets is ok with plans from Starter to Core, which costs 5 to 10$/user/month.

Using any other database goes with plans starting with Enterprise, which means at least around 20$/user/month. That calms down ๐Ÿ˜‚

Please see features list and plans here:

https://about.appsheet.com/pricing/

If your pricing plans is already Enterprise Standard or Enterprise Plus, of course you will definitely need to use another cloud storage, at least for performance reasons.

Thank you,

And Iโ€™m guessing you have to pay for Google Cloud as well to use MySQL?

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Correct, although I think you may discuss that part when contracting for your AppSheet plan. The best option is to contact the Sales Team and discuss on your options, I'm really no more than a humble contributor to this forum ๐Ÿ˜Š

"In my humble opinion about "why do many advanced AppSheet users stick to Spreadsheets??", I would say it comes to pricing, mainly."

100%

The extra cost of the enterprise plan, plus cloud hosting costs, is quite a large increase in monthly cost.

Using cloud databases is far superior in terms of performance. Hands down.

"But there are not a lot on how to actually configure stuff on MySQL for AppSheet, like what MySQL datatypes = to AppSheets datatypes, and lots more."

If you take the time to learn the SQL data types, and do a little experimentation, it should be fairly straight-forward. I don't believe I've ever used anything besides: VARCHAR,TEXT,INT,DECIMAL,DATE,TIME,DATETIME/TIMESTAMP

You'll have to be more specific about the "lots more" that you are referring to.

Thank you, do I need to configure what [id] is a foreign key and a primary key on the MySQL side as well? or Is that something I just do on the AppSheet side?

That kind of depends on what all you plan to use the sql table for. As far as Appsheet is concerned, it really doesn't care what your private or foreign key setup on the database is. I'd always set up the primary key to match what you're using in Appsheet. I've so far seen no need or use to set up any foreign keys on the database.

Thank you again, for your fast reply!

Will try experiment stuff on MySQL!!

Just for reference, my $0.02

Enterprise base monthly payment is USD400.00, which translates to 20 users licenses at USD20.00 each one

Top Labels in this Space