Need [Pick Month] VC to Enum only the Months found in [Month]

Howdy!
I am building a Bookkeeping App and I need to set up a way for User to Pick which Year & Month that they want to view data for, but I only want Enum choices for Months or Years that are recorded in the DB.
I have Virtual Columns [Pick Year VC] & [Pick Month VC], I need a formula that looks at the Year & Month recorded in each Row, and then give User Enum choices of only Years & Months found. I know that I can set up a VC Enum and input all of the Months as choices, but if itโ€™s only March, I donโ€™t need to see April through December of this year. BUT, if User wants to see last year, then they should have all Months as choices for [Pick Month].
My thought is to set up a Dashboard, with one View of โ€œChoose Rangeโ€ which will only ask User to [Pick Year VC] & [Pick Month VC]. These results would be used in the Filters for my Income & Expense Table, and for my Expense chart.
Sorry if this is confusing, itโ€™s hurting my brain to figure out how to smoothly and on the fly pick the range of data to be displayed.
This App was going great until I remembered that it needs to work for many years, not just this one! Haha! Than you very much!!

0 5 744
5 REPLIES 5

Have you thought to build that functionality with Usersettings? You could read values for your year and month dynamically from your data tableโ€ฆ for the Enum field for example.

Thanks Aleksi! I have never used this Usersettings. Iโ€™m sure it will help me, looking into it now.

I donโ€™t know how to make the formula in my USERSETTINGS [Pick Year] Enum type column that will let me choose from only the years that are used in the Rows. I tried this SELECT(Books[Year], true) but it says this must be used with a List type column, and that only Virtual Columns can use List type. I need an Enum buttons and I donโ€™t want to display a list of a bunch of years, I only want to see the years that appear in the [Year] column. TYTY!!

Well maybe I figured this out. I entered Books[Year] into the Valid_if of my UserSettings [Pick Year] Enum column and it seems to do exactly what I want. I get my Enum buttons. But it does give me this Error message โ€œColumn Name โ€˜Pick Yearโ€™ in Schema โ€˜_Per User Settings_Schemaโ€™ of Column Type โ€˜Enumโ€™ should have a list of allowed values or allow the user to add other valuesโ€ TYTY!

Itโ€™s just a message that describes what the system changed when you saved it. If you save it again, you wonโ€™t see that warning anymore.

Top Labels in this Space