Need to capture date that data change occurs due to external process

I have apps that are connected to google sheets that are updated periodically by external processes (long story, but it's a scheduled data dump via Apps Script).  I need to be able to capture when a particular field is changed in these dumps and have Appsheet track how long it's been since the change occurred for the particular row/record in question.  For example, if Field "Compliant" changes to "No" when the data is updated by the external process, I need Appsheet to store the date that change occurred for that record/row.  Is this possible? 

I thought perhaps a bot can do it, but even with external triggers turned on, automated programmatic updates from scripts still won't trigger the bot according to what I've read.

0 2 61
2 REPLIES 2

Hey, 

AFAIK, only when the user himself makes changes to a gSheet, then a workflow could get triggered via the add-on.

@Patrick_Paul wrote:

external processes (long story, but it's a scheduled data dump via Apps Script). 

Is it not possible to modify the script itself to insert the date along with other fields? The script could possibly conditionally insert the date when a field change that you are looking to track?

@Patrick_Paul wrote:

I thought perhaps a bot can do it, but even with external triggers turned on, automated programmatic updates from scripts still won't trigger the bot according to what I've read.

Yes, by external triggering if you mean external eventing,  bots will fire only on user's direct  changes in Google sheet.

Please refer the help article 

External eventing with Google Sheets - AppSheet Help

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1706327253949.png

Top Labels in this Space